Beer / Wine

Home Forums Forum Beer / Wine

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ernie Whalley 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

H.P.Pellaprat
    Participant

Is Irish Craft beer / Cider /Stout etc. The new wine?

Is wine being pushed from restaurant wet sales in favour of Irish craft beverages? For me it’s a far more interesting offering than crushed grape juice and is much easier to get enthusiastic about than the bluster and gobbledygook which seems to come hand in hand with much of the wine trade. Also, craft beer could really be developed into a major industry and be a good job creation area, unlike wine which really only benefits foreign producers:
    So what do you think?

Diapason
    Participant

I think I still prefer wine with food.

unclepat
    Participant

@diapason wrote:

I think I still prefer wine with food.

Me too. With the possible exception of curry and pizza, I find that beer ruins the taste of food and food ruins the taste of beer.

As far as the craft beer market goes, I think it will always be a niche market and too small for Irish companies to have any significant impact.

Prime Cut
    Participant

I wonder what the balance is in ‘gastro-pubs’, does Mulligan Grocer even serve wine? What do most people drink in The Chophouse?

There are some pretty good Irish ciders coming along at the moment, my favourites are Con Trass’s and Craigie’s, but still think I would prefer wine with food.

shortcircuit
    Participant

@Prime Cut wrote:

There are some pretty good Irish ciders coming along at the moment, my favourites are Con Trass’s and Craigie’s, but still think I would prefer wine with food.

I didn’t know Con Traas was making cider- what’s it called?

Prime Cut
    Participant

He is selling it from his farm shop, I got some him at the Slow Food cider festival he hosted in September.

shortcircuit
    Participant

Begod I must drop in and pick some up next time I’m home. I’m addicted to the sparkling apple juice too

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

The Stonewell cider is particularly good, especially the Medium Dry which is very food-friendly. The Longueville House cider also, in a totally different, rather more rounded style. Not yet tasted Con’s but I’m sure it will be pretty decent.
    Irish craft beers are, at the minute, in a halfway house situation. Some are very good indeed. Others, less so. They are probably, like many artisan food products, suffering from a lack of informed criticism. I’ve touched on this before but at the minute we are far more concerned with lavishing praise on products because they are Irish and even more so artisan & Irish, rather than objectively assessing their merits.
    I can understand this. I had an interesting discussion with Caroline Byrne (McKenna Guides etc) last night, who said she’d rather err on the side of positivity because Ireland needs all the encouragement and confidence boost that it can get at the minute. It’s a valid point of view.
    At the same time, we agreed that unrealistic and over-lavish praise does no one any favours in the long term.

On another theme, beer is, in many ways, as interesting a product as wine, particularly when you factor in its much broader flavour spectrum.

And there is absolutely no reason why, given time, Irish craft brewing couldn’t rise to the standards of excellence and renown currently enjoyed by American craft brewers.

H.P.Pellaprat
    Participant

Dry Stonewell and shellfish = very good indeed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ernie Whalley on food, wine & Irish restaurants