Toonsbridge Mozzarella

Home Forums Forum Toonsbridge Mozzarella

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  unclepat 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

shortcircuit
    Participant

What are everyone’s opinions on it?

I think it’s an absolutely brilliant idea, showing the kind of innovation that can get us out of this mess. It’s also excellent value at around €2 (I think) a ball.
    I still think it’s got a ways to go though. When you open up a really good italian mozzarella, the inside is really really soft and milky whereas these are a bit more solid. The flavour isn’t as light and delicate as the good italian ones either.

Is it heresy not to give unqualified praise to the artisan producer?

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Spot on, Shortcircuit. Needs work and time spent refining the product. I think in 3-4 years this will be an absolutely exceptional cheese, but it ain’t there yet.

Melendez
    Participant

Maybe I’ve never had the pleasure of opening a really good Italian Mozzarella so I can’t compare, but I think it compares very favourably with any I have had in Ireland. The favour isn’t as delicate as some, there is a cheesy sourness. I counted that as a plus. When I consumed on day of purchase it was soft and milky.

My problem with it is that I can’t get it easily. They used to have it in Avoca in Monkstown but it never seems to be there anymore when I look for it.

Prime Cut
    Participant

Interesting topic, I think I probably agree with Melendez in that perhaps I haven’t had the wow factor from the alternatives I used buy pre-Toonsbridge.

I ususally buy a couple at the market every weekend and generally cook with it, on a pizza for instance it stays quite firm and the whole topping stays drier as a result, so a good thing! I get a kick out of buying an Irish mozerella in the same way I got a kick out of buying Cashel Blue and Cooleeney in Neals Yard twenty years ago.

Have any of you tried the British equivalent, I think the buffalo came from Wales where they have been producing their mozz for a while, I wonder how they compare.

unclepat
    Participant

Very good point about the pizza. We usually had to dry Italian buffalo mozz for 24 hours before using it on a pizza. I haven’t tasted Toonsbridge but if has a firmer texture and less moisture, it sounds perfect for good pizza shops.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Mozzarella di buffala has a shelf life of less than 48 hours. If it has ‘a cheesy sourness’ it means it’s past its best or maybe ‘gone’.

Melendez
    Participant

I’d get great value going through the bins in Campania then!

In fairness, when I enquired during the summer, they said they make it on Wednesday and that it is best consumed by Friday – the earliest I’ve got it is on a Saturday, so maybe you have it sussed. I think there is a niche market for “aged” mozzarella.

Tesco Finest Mozzarella, which is as good as any readily available alternatives, has a shelf life of at least a couple of weeks.

Corinna
    Participant

It seems Toonsbridge is not alone when it comes to the challenges of making buffalo mozzarella. Interesting piece here on why it’s so difficult to make it properly. http://nyti.ms/TcNlXM.

And yes, it’s all about texture. The elusive thing, they say, is softness.

shortcircuit
    Participant

Very interesting article Corinna.
    Food section in NY Times is class

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Update on Toonsbridge mozzarella: I bought some at the olive stall at Leopardstown market last Friday.
    It also seems to have improved decidedly over earlier examples of the product.
    I do feel a tinge of sadness that we have to give a product a foreign name in order to get people to understand and buy it, though. Maybe one days the Brits and French will repay the acknowledgment by making ‘Somerset Crozier’ or ‘Durrus Normande’. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ernie Whalley on food, wine & Irish restaurants