Warning: include(/home/forkncorkcom/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/forkncorkcom/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 84

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/forkncorkcom/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /home/forkncorkcom/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 84
What did you have last night? - Forkncork.com

What did you have last night?

Home Forums Forum What did you have last night?

This topic contains 524 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  markh 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

fontane77
    Participant

would be interesting to see what sort of stuff people are haivng on a daily basis……

I’ll start…

I had some pasta (casarecce – from tesco) with white wine, garlic, red onion, bacon and cream with some parsley – bit of parmesan thrown in at the end…..mmm

burkean
    Participant

A bit of a slapdash curry for me – chicken thighs and drumsticks fried off in asafoetida and cumin, then added onion, garlic and ginger and the whole pot finished off with tomatoes, garam masala, chili powder and coriander.

Quite successful, all told.

Bob
    Participant

Beans on toast – had to go to Indie Spice for lunch (your fault ChefSmith!) which left me full for the day, had their two course lunch for €8.95, absolute bargain.

meatmonger
    Participant

Quick fill up in Sainsburys including Pasta Fusilli, Chicken, Garlic, Bell & Hot Peppers, Basil, Tomatoes Going Out of Shelve Date!, Mushrooms, Parmesan and opened a bottle of Jacobs Creek!!!!
    Moped up with nice big crusty loaf.

europhile
    Participant

Big pot of thrown-together-at-the-last-moment soup.

Stock made from one of those Knorr gel things, leftover meat from roast chicken, onion, carrots, celery, green beans, borlotti beans and big sprig of thyme. Yum, yum.

Melendez
    Participant

Chilli Con Carne.

Onions, mince, garlic and a few leftover mushrooms fried off with chilli powder.

Add…

Can of red kidney beans.
    Can of red kidney beans in chilli sauce
    Can of tomatoes
    Small bit of beef stock
    Packet of Erin chili sauce (complete with msg) mixed with water
    couple of teaspoons of sugar

served with boiled rice

Not very healthy or exotic but it’s quick and tasty.
    Tonight I get the other half, possibly in the form of a burrito.

sean_dru
    Participant

penne with gambas, museels, clams & organic salmon with olive oil, corriander, garlic, chili, ginger (last five components pureed with the olive oil. white wine, fish stock and a fork.

was under the impression two course lunch menus under 10 euro where nasty?

Melendez
    Participant

Not as nasty as finding pureed cutlery in your pasta.

sean_dru
    Participant

very witty

Old Tart
    Participant

Beans on toast for me too.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

spag bol, out of the freezer, from the big batch I made last week.
    plus runner beans from the garden, as a ‘side’
    couple of glasses of excellent SQ budget red ‘Chat en Oeuf’ (groan)
    2 x espresso – Nicaragua El Limoncillo peaberry/Sumatra Lingtong 2/3 – 1/3, roasted dark and just-off shiny

meatmonger
    Participant

Not a potato between us!!

Hanna
    Participant

Does it count if you ate out?

If so:

blue cheese and white onion tart
    Seafood pie with whipped potatoes
    Apple and blackberry crumble
    Glass pinot grigio
    Coffee

(Alexis Early bird. Can’t recommend highly enough!)

petitechef
    Participant

crostini with mint & pea, roast carrot and lentil paté toppings!

italian foodie
    Participant

milanese with salad…..

unclepat
    Participant

Home made baked beans with brown bread and poached duck egg

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Brown bread, Baby Jesus salami and home made tsatziki for lunch.

Only me in tonight, herself playing golf, so casserole which I made the other night out of some odds and sods – pork, onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, herbs, bit of leftover wine. The portion I had left I tarted up tonight, made it kind of Moroccan with cinnamon, ginger, almonds, shallots, couple of field mushrooms chopped up. With basmati rice and the obligatory runner beans – object being to eat them up before the first frost. I could freeze them but last years’ weren’t amazing.
    Big Campari before and glass of SQ Cote de Rhone with – amazing stuff for 7 euro, more anon.
    May have a Bushmills 1604 and an espresso if I can find a link to watch City v Fulham.

sean_dru
    Participant

am glad your taste in food is better than your taste in football:D

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

That’s the last good review you’ll get:)

foodfiend
    Participant

Last night was Tortligoni with chorizo and a tomato and cream sauce. Tonight Cornfed Chicken leg with a spring onion(from the garden) cream and sauteed potatoes also from the garden.

italian foodie
    Participant

tonight was parmigiana and salad…..

petitechef
    Participant

more crostini, some olives and glass of spanish red (well maybe 2!)

brava
    Participant

Cod gratin, green beans and baby potatoes.

markh
    Participant

🙁
    This is all making me miss home again (I’d just got over chefsmith’s crispy rasher)…

Out here in Eastern Indonesia (Flores) it’s chicken, RW (local euphemism for our K9 friend), and fortunately quite a lot of fish plus of course rice, rice and yet more rice. Last night was cumi asam manis (sweet & sour squid) with rice, local place serves it for Rp18,000 which is about €1.20. The problem is that tomorrow I’ll probably have the same again – the variety is rather lacking !
    Ah well, I can dream about it and read your stories…

Bob
    Participant

@sean_dru wrote:

was under the impression two course lunch menus under 10 euro where nasty?

I always thought that too, if I didn’t know a restaurant then I would never try it anywhere in Ireland. If a restaurant I knew did a lunch of a main course + soup for €9.95 I would be happy to do that.

At Indie Spice I was surprised that there are several choices for starters & mains, I had Sheek Kebab which was v tasty and Laura had their take on Onion Bhaji. Both were simple but full of flavour. Laura then had her usual Chicken Tikka Massala and I had Chicken Bhuna but asked them to give it a bit more bite as thats how I like it and it was just right. You get rice with that for the set price. The portions for mains aren’t huge but were spot on as far as i was concerned. Naan is an extra €3 and 2 x glasses of wine (1/4 bottles) around €5.50 each. So all in all it cost c. €35.

I really believe the most difficult thing is to get someone in the door, once there you invariably spend more. This was a great example of portion control and if we had time we would have had coffees too and probably at least shared a dessert which would have added another tenner on but we were running late.

sean_dru
    Participant

a bowl of special k, 3 grapes and 5 ciggies.

hmmm sounds like todays special.

sean_dru
    Participant

i can understand the hostility EW, 90 mins to beat fulham can do that.:D

i see your point BOB, im doing a 6 course lunch special for free, least that way i dont pay vat:p

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

@sean_dru wrote:

i can understand the hostility EW, 90 mins to beat fulham can do that.:D

I am not hostile, I AM NOT f*******g HOSTILE!!!
    Anyhow it was 115 minutes….

By the tone of your recent posts I would imagine you are one of those people who supports ‘the Red tenth’ of Manchester. Let me ask, if you were stood on top of Barton Bridge equipped with the Jodrell Bank astro-telescope could you locate Old Trafford? Ah, thought not:) This bloody country is full of armchair Rags! Savour the victory, my friend, but never forget The Future is Blue.;)

Oh, and just so I’m not accused of going off topic:Greek yogurt, almonds, own apples, 2 slices toast – 1 with Marmite, 1 with apricot jam, green tea.
    Now for the first espresso of the day….

sean_dru
    Participant

haha these insults have to stop, bohs and liverpool….. i see the city of manchester stadium everyday while going to work, its got petrol pumps and dodgy sandwiches.:D

2 ciggies, 1 instant coffee, porridge with bananas.

fontane77
    Participant

spaghetti with chestnut mushrooms, bacon and garlic and shallots in a rich burnt/blackened tomato and basil sauce……with enough for tonight again.

I’ll be back saturday with a report on chapter 1 on cultural night

Prime Cut
    Participant

Am not sure if my cover is deep enough (so my butcher doesn’t find out) we had Aldi Irish Angus rib eye steaks from the Glen of Aherlow, so tender and full of flavour, with charlotte potatoes and spinage and butter for the spuds Andre.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

@sean_dru wrote:

haha these insults have to stop, bohs and liverpool….. i see the city of manchester stadium everyday while going to work, its got petrol pumps and dodgy sandwiches.:D

2 ciggies, 1 instant coffee, porridge with bananas.

Well, that’s a first, ‘work’ and ‘Liverpool’ in the same sentence:) (Sorry couldn’t resist, the Manc in me dies hard).

Never had the sarnies but the pies at Eastlands are truly dreadful. The ones at Maine Road used to be brilliant, can’t just be the switch to halal meat, surely.. ?
    Amazing thing last week – when every journo with a few cc’s to spare was discussing whether Adebayor should be hanged, drawn and quartered or merely thrown into a pit of venomous snakes, the Super Soaraway Sun devoted a whole page to the City supporters’ successful lobby to have the raisins taken out of the Balti pies!

Anyhow, back on topic guys…

Fishwife
    Participant

Brill dipped in seasoned flour and pan fried with swiss chard from our garden and spuds from the neighbours garden!

punto
    Participant

@sean_dru wrote:

i see your point BOB, im doing a 6 course lunch special for free, least that way i dont pay vat:p

Sean_dru – I was under the impression that you were based in Ireland. But I see that you say you pass Manchester stadium everyday on the way to work. If you are based in Ireland and you give anything for free, you are actually subject to VAT on it. If you want to avoid VAT, charge 1 cent instead

Markh, I’d gladly swap locations with you

sean_dru
    Participant

ahh i am punto, that was a joke gone wrong, meant any petrol station…man city=oil-petrolium…..i never claimed to be funny…..!one cent…hmmmmm interesting, ive been reading up alot on tax affairs in ireland, its a murky world full of murky characters.

italian foodie
    Participant

pizza tonight, simple margherita with buffalo…

petitechef
    Participant

friend arrived from States for lunch today – fresh crabmeat, whole prawns & smoked trout served with baby potatoes and salad with fresh brown soda bread. it was yum!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Oh very creative! Decent thick lamb cutlets (Michael Byrne, Sandymount), saute potatoes, mix of veg inc home grown courgettes and runner beans (of course) and pureed butternut squash.

Rasher
    Participant

@Prime Cut wrote:

Am not sure if my cover is deep enough (so my butcher doesn’t find out) we had Aldi Irish Angus rib eye steaks from the Glen of Aherlow, so tender and full of flavour, with charlotte potatoes and spinage and butter for the spuds Andre.

Cover blown.

Rasher
    Participant

Made green coriander chicken last night, as a sort of an antidote to all the saucisse, saucisson, confit, fois gras etc. we have been stuffing ourselves with for the past two weeks.

Accompanied by basmati and a good dollop of lime pickle.

chefsmith
    Participant

Right here goes yesterdays dining…….

Chicken schnitzel with potato salad and pumpkin seed oil
    Pork Crackling dumpling with sourkraut and pancetta
    Austrian boudin with a beef ravioli and pigs trotter jus
    Vienese Sausage with tarragon Mustard
    Veals head terrine with veal tail boudin and a tangerine oil
    Crispy pork belly with a bean cassoulet and runner beans
    Veal schnitzel with potatoes

a full days eatin and drinkin, followed by a vodka binge and several stories, all unfit for public comsumption 😀

petitechef
    Participant

careful Chefsmith or the girth might become more reassuring:p
    M&S fish & chips for me tonight cos it’s friday!

Fishwife
    Participant

Lamb’s liver cooked according to Sean-dru and Chefsmith advice, ie, not seasoned in flour, one minute either side on the pan and finished off with sherry vinegar and butter – have to say it was heaven and will never bother with the flour again.

Served with spuds and our neighbor’s turnip and carrots.

petitechef
    Participant

apologies ChefS – just say you made a similar comment on another thread!

chefsmith
    Participant

@petitechef wrote:

careful Chefsmith or the girth might become more reassuring:p
    M&S fish & chips for me tonight cos it’s friday!

Never trust a skinny chef 😉

Fishwife, that sounds like my perfect dish, liver and root veg, ireland on a plate.

petitechef
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Never trust a skinny chef 😉

not true!!!!!:p

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

aged t-bone (rare>medium rare)
    fried onions, field mushrooms, home grown carrots, maris peer baby spuds
    bottle of St.Emilion 2005 – J.Maltus Chateua Teyssier
    nice espresso, El Salvador finca la Fany Bourbon
    just sat down to watch old western with a glass of Highland Park 12 yo
    (Spoiling myself cos she has deserted me for the w/e)

Nor very creative, I’m afraid, but bloody good for all that!

meatmonger
    Participant

where’s good in dublin for sourcing the t-bone?

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Dunno really, Michael Byrne in Sandymount, my local guy, sometimes has good aged t-bone and fillet. Fallon & Byrne have good ones but I normally end up buying the veal when I go there.
    I brought this particular one back from Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.

chefsmith
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Dunno really, Michael Byrne in Sandymount, my local guy, sometimes has good aged t-bone and fillet. Fallon & Byrne have good ones but I normally end up buying the veal when I go there.
    I brought this particular one back from Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.

Where in Enniscorthy, im headin down that way tomorrow, also any dining options out that way…….

The Fresh shop meat counters normally have good Tbone steaks, be warned though, fresh are not known for their value. The one at clarehall seems to be the best, nicely aged and rotten looking.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

There are a couple of good butchers in Enniscorthy.
    I tend to use Staffords.
    Where’s your ultimate destination? I think you’d like Aldridge Lodge in Duncannon, but hard to get in.

Leo at the back of Wallace’s supermarket in Wellington Bridge is a surprisingly good – you don’t expect to find great ones in supermarkets – butcher and very obliging re cutting stuff specially of you.

To return to topic, nothing in the house for breakfast. Had to raid tin of digestive biscuits + yogurt and a pear. I may go uptown for lunch.

chefsmith
    Participant

Breakfast thus far is a pharmaton tablet and a can of red bull, but i have my eyes on a jane russel sausage…..

Roast chicken and roast turnip last night with my wife’s mixed bean salad, Kidney , haricot and broad beans, chopped gherkins, scallions and cucumber with a bit of fresh dill and a 50/50 mix if creme fraiche and mayonaisse.

Followed by lemon curd on melba toast and strawberries.

petitechef
    Participant

breakfast was coffe with cinnamon and raisin bread toasted and fresh hazelnuts, after a lovely walk by the Grand Canal.

fontane77
    Participant

was in chapter one last night – fantastic night…..

started with a glass of gruner, she had champagne, nibbled on olives at the bar. Barman described to me how they brought in a 230kg blue fin on thursday – so decided on the bluefin for starter. staff count at this stage was about 7, three had asked my my name before I got to the bar, another two gave me menus and wine lists, another couple behind the bar, and an older waiter who started cracking jokes that were so bad its laughable. Anyways got to the table, ordered a bottle of dolcetto and breads arrived. They were astonishing (i know its only bread but they were pretty special).

Starters, I had the seared blue fin which was very nice – would have preferred a couple of nice thick sashimi pieces but it was still good…..herself had the organic egg poached in red wine (which really was something very special). Mains I had the mountain lamb plate, herself the challans duck – my lamb was fine – slow cooked (18 hours?) and very tasty, with some breadcrumbed sweetbreads, a single caramelized carrot (?) and an accompaniment of mashed potatoes (which was horrendous – gluteinous, piped, elasticky muck). Her duck was very special, beautifully cooked with some very very delicious confit – duck reminded me of hong kong – stunning. Shared the mascarpone dessert with raspberrys, very delicious followed by a couple of tasty macchiatos.

overall an excellent meal but not as memorable as previous outings. I dont get the service, I know its what people want and what you get in establishments at this level, but its lost on me. our waiter was excellent, very attentive and no bs, but some of the other staff were just too much – but thats just me….

188 euro before service (which was very reasonable in my book)

chefsmith
    Participant

Fontane, take that back about the chapter one mash. 😀
    when there I used to have to make that 3 times a day, never allowed to carry it over from service, then one day it was a bit lumpy, new rules so…… had to pass it through a drumseive, every time, for anyone who’s used a drum seive, 20 kilo’s 3 times a day is horrible.
    😀

Tonights delight was a pizza, i love to overcook them, so the cheese is burnt, new brand in tesco’s, very good too, blue box, sloppy guiseppes or something. best ready to eat pizza i’ve had.

meatmonger
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Tonights delight was a pizza, i love to overcook them, so the cheese is burnt, new brand in tesco’s, very good too, blue box, sloppy guiseppes or something. best ready to eat pizza i’ve had.

they sound like pizza express brand?? (avail in sainsburys) and they are great, always a couple in the freezer for emergencies. American Hot ones good too.

Fishwife
    Participant

Last night we had chicken with ginger, plums and soy served with sticky rice and roasted veg followed by my mother’s apple tart.

Using leftovers for easy Sunday lunch!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Cooked chinese for small dinner party last night.
    My chicken speciality, flattened, roasted – smoked over lapsang souchong tea and oranges
    sweet’n’sour pork with my own sauce lots of fresh ginger, chilli and lychees
    boiled thai fragrant rice
    pears poached in red wine with cinnamon and star anis
    home made vanilla & walnut ice cream with maple syrup
    cheese
    coffee

The Superquinn white Graves I’m raving about on the front page + d’Arenberg Cadenza 2003 (Rhone clone) and Marquis de Caceres Gaudium 1996 – finished the last 1/2 when the others had gone home, lucky me! It was drinking superbly after a couple of hours in the decanter – colour still holding up, big, soft velvety wine.

chefsmith
    Participant

@meatmonger wrote:

they sound like pizza express brand?? (avail in sainsburys) and they are great, always a couple in the freezer for emergencies. American Hot ones good too.

Thats them, the dough is very good and flavours simple and fresh a touch more expensive than the other brands but only by about a €

italian foodie
    Participant

roast chicken legs and roast pots with mushrooms made by the “MIL” followed by nutella pizza. I love this, we tried it in the shop a couple of years back but wasn’t recieved very well, people wouldn’t even try it:mad:

brava
    Participant

Nutella Pizza – just pizza base and nutella topping? I know a small girl who’d love that!!

YumYum
    Participant

@italian foodie wrote:

roast chicken legs and roast pots with mushrooms made by the “MIL” followed by nutella pizza. I love this, we tried it in the shop a couple of years back but wasn’t recieved very well, people wouldn’t even try it:mad:

Rightly or wrongly people think pizza = cheese

petitechef
    Participant

Beefburger, sausages, beetroot, carrots, potatoes at Blas an Fomhair in Nenagh yesterday – all locally sourced

chefsmith
    Participant

We had the joy of eating waterford hospitals finest offerings yesterday, microwaved chicken in breadcrumbs stuffed with instant potato and green beans and packet gravy – twas a delight. 😉

@brava wrote:

Nutella Pizza – just pizza base and nutella topping? I know a small girl who’d love that!!

snap!! me too.
    We are going through the word ‘no’ phase, everything is no
    you love daddy
    no
    really, do you love mummy
    no
    the cat?
    no
    chocolate?
    *the most enthusiastic nod of the head ever*
    yes

petitechef
    Participant

hope all ok CS?

chefsmith
    Participant

@petitechef wrote:

hope all ok CS?

Ah, the feckin cancer has my mum, she’s been fighting like a trooper for a year now, but now its nearly game over.

Melendez
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Ah, the feckin cancer has my mum, she’s been fighting like a trooper for a year now, but now its nearly game over.

I’m sorry to hear that Chefsmith.

fontane77
    Participant

beef bourguignon with the orange peel…..got some nice flavour out of it. Used rib roast beef in nice thick lengths….worked out very nicely.

petitechef
    Participant

very sorry to hear that CS. PC

chefsmith
    Participant

Thanks.

Now, what to have for dinner tonight?
    I want to do a pasta dish, chorizo, spring onions and tomatoes i think with some confit garlic
    and thyme.

MaryC
    Participant

Sorry to hear that chefsmith.

We’d roast lamb (from the father in law’s farm), mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, carrots and gravy yesterday, followed by pear and almond tart.

It’ll be shepherd’s pie this evening.

italian foodie
    Participant

@brava wrote:

yep basically, sprinkle of icing sugar. I find big and small girls like it:)

italian foodie
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

We had the joy of eating waterford hospitals finest offerings yesterday, microwaved chicken in breadcrumbs stuffed with instant potato and green beans and packet gravy – twas a delight. 😉

snap!! me too.
    We are going through the word ‘no’ phase, everything is no
    you love daddy
    no
    really, do you love mummy
    no
    the cat?
    no
    chocolate?
    *the most enthusiastic nod of the head ever*
    yes

haha what age is she? we’re going through really bad terrible 2’s at the mo and no amount of nutella bribery will work. 🙂

chefsmith
    Participant

@italian foodie wrote:

haha what age is she? we’re going through really bad terrible 2’s at the mo and no amount of nutella bribery will work. 🙂

She’s two and a bit.
    She has recently learned how to withhold hugs and kisses, although she hides the hugs in her belly button……. and sometimes doles them out, you gobble them up and you get a hug. :D:D

brava
    Participant

Sorry chefsmith, hope you’re ok.

The “no” phase at 2 has transformed to a “you’re an idiot” phase at 3 3/4 (who knew they could roll their eyes so early!)

But mostly I love them!

sean_dru
    Participant

sorry to hear that chef smith, i hope you make the most of the time you have left with your mother, my best wishes.

last night i had wild lamb with rocket, boulangiere garlic cheese and some roasted baby potatoes. washed down with miwadi.:p

europhile
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

couple of glasses of excellent SQ budget red ‘Chat en Oeuf’ (groan)

That stuff really is the schnazz. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

unclepat
    Participant

Scrambled egg with Frank Hedderman’s smoked salmon last night. I can’t eat any other smoked salmon since I first tasted this-it’s absolutely sublime.

petitechef
    Participant

Monday was figs with mozzarella wrapped in parma ham. Last night was M&S Indian 1,2,3,4 meal – good value for 2 at 8.99 and it didn’t taste too bad either! :p

chefsmith
    Participant

We done Roast poussin with honey caramelised ribs, potato and carrot mash and summer salad.
    Loads left for tomorrow lunch or a late night feast tonight 😀

I forgot about the peach tart i was baking, it burnt, i was watching masterchef and forgot about it.

petitechef
    Participant

bottle of coors lite and a packet of peanuts

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

A night off. Missis Woman cooked me a baked (?) salmon dish she’d got off a Domini Kemp recipe and wanted to try. It involved a marinade with chilli sauce and sesame oil. It was awful. The marinade made the salmon taste fatty, with a vile oleaginous texture.
    Can’t win ’em all, Dom, I love your muesli bars.

europhile
    Participant

If it was the recipe in last Saturday’s Irish Times, I was going to cook it tomorrow. I’ve now gone off the idea.

unclepat
    Participant

Ox tongue salad, peppered skate wing, pressed pig’s head, seared venion loin, confit rabbit leg. Only taster portions mind you. It’s a dirty job being guineapig for new dishes but some poor sod has to do it!

chefsmith
    Participant

@unclepat wrote:

Ox tongue salad, peppered skate wing, pressed pig’s head, seared venion loin, confit rabbit leg. Only taster portions mind you. It’s a dirty job being guineapig for new dishes but some poor sod has to do it!

Sounds like my perfect plate….

punto
    Participant

@unclepat wrote:

pressed pig’s head,!

Tell me more – technique, garnish and flavours please!!

unclepat
    Participant

We braise the head for about three hours in the usual aromats and then take all the meat out while it’s still warm. If you let it cool down, it’s very difficult to get the meat off.
    The picked meat is then finely chopped and mixed with ( I don’t have the exact recipe but I’ve definitely see the folling going in) bay, thyme, sage, blackpepper, mustard, fennell seeds.
    It is then pressed in a terrine mould and set over night and cut into slices, lightly crumbed and fried until crisp on the outside. The middle should be tender and juicy and full of flavour. Served with a small salad, sauce gribiche and some cornichons.

punto
    Participant

@unclepat wrote:

We braise the head for about three hours in the usual aromats and then take all the meat out while it’s still warm. If you let it cool down, it’s very difficult to get the meat off.
    The picked meat is then finely chopped and mixed with ( I don’t have the exact recipe but I’ve definitely see the folling going in) bay, thyme, sage, blackpepper, mustard, fennell seeds.
    It is then pressed in a terrine mould and set over night and cut into slices, lightly crumbed and fried until crisp on the outside. The middle should be tender and juicy and full of flavour. Served with a small salad, sauce gribiche and some cornichons.

Now that sounds bloody good

burkean
    Participant

I was in Sat Bains in Nottingham earlier this month and the very first thing we had was a tiny cube of breaded pigs head meat that had been braised and spiced over a period of 4 days and then deep fried for just seconds before serving.

Stunningly tasty. (Nicest thing we had actually – but that’s another story.)

fontane77
    Participant

back to pasta again last night, this time a rich meaty tomato stew with penne thrown in….

chefsmith
    Participant

@fontane77 wrote:

back to pasta again last night, this time a rich meaty tomato stew with penne thrown in….

Went all winter last night.
    Braised ox cheek, with field mushroom and spinach in shortcrust pastry with a really good merlot gravy, mash and baby spuds.

Old Tart
    Participant

chicken thighs braised in white wine with apple and dried apricots, served with rice. My 6 year old turned his nose up at it all apart from the rice. He normally loves chicken but not this time. To add insult to injury, he sat down to watch Rachel Allen and discovered that she was cooking (chicken casserole) instead of baking! He was very disappointed. She’s off his list now. He only likes to watch programmes whose food he would want to eat.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Sound kid!
    Pre-theatre at Thorntons last night. Utterly wowed.

Home made chicken liver pate + Dennis Cotter’s beetroot on brown soda for lunch.

Trying out a new (to me) coffee Panama Esmeralda Palmyra – like a liquid walnut whip with a big vanilla hit,made yummy cappu and tasty espresso.
    Buggered up the roast a bit thanks to Missus Woman mithering so had to rectify it with Black & Decker heat gun, haven’t done that for ages.

Western Star
    Participant

Last night was ratatouille from the freezer made from home grown veg, late summer on a plate even on 1st October. Eaten with the last of the new potatoes (Pentland Javelins) fished out of the tub they were grown in in the back yard. Felt smugly virtuous afterwards! The night before was cottage pie made with the defrosted remains of my mother’s Sunday roast from weeks ago.

meatmonger
    Participant

last night was several bars in san sebastian eating every part of the the pig cooked everyway, along with sea urchins, fois gras, octopus, jamons, exploding tomato soup pellets, razor clams, pigeon, solomillios (sirloin / jalapenos) and great great wines all round.

washed down with several other drinks to late in the night. It is my birthday!! me guesto mucho ) )

petitechef
    Participant

Happy Birthday MM!

meatmonger
    Participant

thank you,

san sebastian has blown me away, above all expectations, simply most amazing food and wine at most amazing prices. oh my god….

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

lucky lad, anyhow, Happy Birthday. Can’t think of a better place to spend it.
    I sent you a PM in reply to yours.

chefsmith
    Participant

Happy birthday MM, Hope you act accordingly and end up walking naked around the wrong hotel complex demanding to be let into room 214 😉

All this talk of pork has inspired me, slowly braising away now are
    a pigs head
    two trotters
    4 ham hocks
    in a bay leaf and cardoman stock
    Pigs cheeks in a merlot gravy

I plan on serving a tasting plate for a special tomorrow

Pigs head, Foie Gras and Granny Smith Terrine
    Jane Russel’s Black Pudding
    Crispy Pigs Trotter Roulade
    Pressed Ham and Pommery Mustard
    Daubé of pork Cheek
    With a Muscat Grape and Hazelnut salad and Old school Melba Toast

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Leek, bacon, mushroom risotto. Green salad. Bottle Superquinn Pouilly Fuisse – good job I didn’t taste blind I’d have said ‘South African’ but decent enough.

petitechef
    Participant

tonight was bookclub night – lots of yummy food with a mexican theme – and the best bit was I didn’t have to cook any of it!
    All this pig’s head talk bringing back strange childhood memories of exchange holidays in Austria where local tradition on killing a pig was that someone had to kidnap the head, dress it up and then send it offto be cooked – I still have nightmares about a pigs head in a baby stroller wearing a pink bonnet:eek:

meatmonger
    Participant

a tour of 7 differnent spanish wine regions without even leaving the bar counter !

chefsmith
    Participant

@meatmonger wrote:

a tour of 7 differnent spanish wine regions without even leaving the bar counter !

Good DVD? 😀

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Living it up in Knockranny House.
    Wonderful wild partridge and venison washed down with Yann Chave’s Crozes Hermitage 2005/7 (half botts)
    This lunchtime tried to find decent pub food on Achill – seems to be a bit of a gastro desert

sean_dru
    Participant

Handmade sausages, fermanagh rashers, half and half black pudding, eggs, slow roasted tomatoes, apple and mango lemondade, tea.

chefsmith
    Participant

Chicken n ballymaloe relish sambo’s on crusty doorstep, packet of mini cheddars and two pints of ribena

brekkie today, 3 crab n cod cakes and a nice cuppa rosy lee

petitechef
    Participant

I’l be the first to admit that i get v lazy about cooking for myself but today i decided i needed a ‘mummy’ dinner so have just had roast turkey breast, roast potatoes and red onion and cauliflower cheese with lashings of cranberry sauce of course. Am now replete on sofa with a glass of crozes hermitage….(watching Come Dine with Me) – waht more could a girl want?;)

fontane77
    Participant

damn christenings…..

cooked lasagne, beef bourguignon, thai green curry, rice, gratin potatoes, bread, smoked mackarel, made truffles….

phew….it went down a storm but i’m wrecked….

Bob
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Living it up in Knockranny House.
    Wonderful wild partridge and venison washed down with Yann Chave’s Crozes Hermitage 2005/7 (half botts)
    This lunchtime tried to find decent pub food on Achill – seems to be a bit of a gastro desert

Lucky you!! Heard Seamus Commons is doing wonderful things down there. Last time I was on Achill we went to the Beehive in Keel and it was great (home made soup, home baking etc), prob too late for you now though. When i make it back to Westport An Port Mor is the restaurant I want to try as well as KHH

Hanna
    Participant

After a weekend of utter and wanton over-indulgence, last night’s dinner was home made spicy potato wedges (done in goose fat, with smoked paprika), smothered in Chilli and cheese. Eat your heart out, Paddy Cullens.

chefsmith
    Participant

My darling wife cooked a dunnes steak and kidney pie, which was the most disgusting pie I have ever eaten, the beef pieces tasted like the rehydrated potatoes you find in crap pasties, we all felt bad after it. Never again.

I have a hunk of striploin getting all black and rotten in my fridge, which i shall cook on sunday and invite some lucky shmucks around for sunday dinner. Yorkshire Puddings me thinks, it had better rain on sunday, roast beefs always taste nicer when its horrible outside.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

back to earth…
    Superquinn bbq ribs (surprisingly tasty) boiled new spuds, carrots and the very, very, very last of my runner beans

Nice Penfold’s tasting yesterday, I won’t bang on about the 2004 Grange…

fontane77
    Participant

leftovers….had shepards pie with a thai green curry….

an interesting mix using the potato to mop up the sauce of the curry….would highly recommend it –

real irish fusion food

Western Star
    Participant

Last night was Ernie’s suggestion for roasted home-grown tomatoes with spaghetti. Utterly delicious. The weekend was lamb shanks on Sunday and ray with beurre noisette on Saturday. Overcooked the ray, bah. The weekend bottle was Domaine Haut du Bourg Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire, very nice wine at the price I thought (around €11 I think).

chefsmith
    Participant

tasting new menu so……………

Crispy duck salad with butternut squash , foie gras wontons and pumpkin seed pesto
    scallops with a crevette and orange butter
    chicken with fondant, chorizo and tomato stew and a chicken and saffron aioli
    Carrigbyrne cheese with Sundried tomato cream

Now im Proper proper proper stuffed.

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

chicken with fondant, chorizo and tomato stew ….

I had that for my dinner last night, with some home made bread! Great minds….

sean_dru
    Participant

wild lamb burger with rosemary and a roasted aubergine and mint soup.

fontane77
    Participant

inlaws baked ham and smoked cheese on crusty rye with some ballymaloe with a nice big mug of tea……….

Melendez
    Participant

Is there a season for hunting wild lamb, or does one just grab a woolly friend off the side of the mountain and throw him in the boot of the car?

Old Tart
    Participant

slow cooked beef shin (the Alexis recipe from the Irish Times). It was delicious. Even the kids devoured it.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Bolly last night – home made with rigatoni, orechete AND penne aka Use Up Bits of Pasta Night – why is it 100g is never quite enough? Plus spinach and an assortment of finely grated cheeses from the old crust box – might even have been some parmesan in there!

Met Giuseppe who used to have the wonderful little Italian on Wexford Street – Kapriol – (only 36 covers) yesterday. He has 50g of pasta for lunch every day. Looks bloody well on it too.

Hanna
    Participant

Home made venison saussies, onion gravy, mashed potato.

Old Tart, you wouldn’t have the recipe in electronic format, or a link to it would you?
    Thanks!

Melendez
    Participant

Kapriol was my first ever favourite restaurant. I think it was on Camden street across the road from The Bleedin Horse.

Old Tart
    Participant

I don’t have the recipe Hanna. It was in a little supplement. I have it at home so I’ll post it later.

Hanna
    Participant

@Old Tart wrote:

I don’t have the recipe Hanna. It was in a little supplement. I have it at home so I’ll post it later.

Thanks, you’re a star!

europhile
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

the wonderful little Italian on Wexford Street – Kapriol

That brings back the memory of many wine-sodden dinners.

Old Tart
    Participant

Hanna – Slow cooked beef shin

500g beef shin (ask butcher to cut the beef into 4 neat rounds app 3cm thick)
    600ml red wine
    1 large onion peeled & chopped
    1 large carrot peeled & chopped
    2 celery sticks trimmed & chopped
    a few thyme & rosemary sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    2 garlic cloves
    1 litre of good strong beef/veal stock
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    salt & pepper

To serve – 100g girolle mushrooms, 16 baby onions (peeled and softened in butter and sugar), a few chopped parsley leave.

Method:
    Put beef, wine, vegetables, bay leaf, garlic, thyme & rosemary into a non metallic dish and marinate overnight. The following day strain, set vegetables aside for later, pat dry the meat.
    Season meat with salt & pepper, brown with olive oil in a hot pan over the stove and set aside.
    Add a little more oil to the now empty pan and brown reserved vegetables with the thyme, garlic & bay leaf.
    Add red wine back and reduce to a syrupy consistency.
    Add beef stock and reduce for 15 mins
    Transfer everything to an oven proof casserole dish
    Cover & cook at 175c for 2-2.5 hours until tender.
    Allow to cool in the liquid.
    Strain with a fine sieve & discard veg & herbs.
    Boil the sauce until it thickens slightly

To serve
    Reheat the beef in the sauce
    Saute the girolles in a little butter with flat leaf parsly
    Reheat the baby onions
    Serve with creamed potato

Phew!
    I marinated it on Monday night, cooked it for 2.5 hours on Tuesday and as it was too late in the evening to eat it then, left it sit overnight in the liquid and then had it on Wednesday.

Hanna
    Participant

Thank you so much, that’s fab! I greatly appreciate it!

chefsmith
    Participant

Talking of recipes, i read one in the dingle times the other day from john benny’s pub on beef and guiness stew, it was actually comical.
    for 4 people

5 KILOS beef
    Guiness
    GRAVY

no quantities or anything other than the very generous quantity of beef.

Had me chucklin for a good while, i know the chef there so im allowed to take the mick.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

Kapriol was my first ever favourite restaurant. I think it was on Camden street across the road from The Bleedin Horse.

That’s the one.I must have spent shedloads in there drinking his Barolo and Barbaresco. Couldn’t afford it now. Couldn’t afford it then, come to think of it.

petitechef
    Participant

I went there for my first ‘really posh meal’ when I started working – I can still remember the king prawns!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Guinea fowl with mushrooms, shallots, garlic, carrots, parsnips, rosemary and dried ‘tomates et basille de Provence’ braised in Bordeaux red.
    With Larry Whelan’s Golden Wonders (Foulksmills, Wexford) – surely the world’s best baking/roasting spud?

One thing though. The guinea fowl had a label on the outside reading ‘The Wild Irish Game Co Ltd”. Inside, on the bird, was a label saying “free range (tr) Les Landes, France’?

chefsmith
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

With Larry Whelan’s Golden Wonders (Foulksmills, Wexford) – surely the world’s best baking/roasting spud?

Could not agree more, I think Wexford offers some really fine produce.
    Apples from Ballinaboola are delicious and the carrigbyrne cheese is far and away my favourite cheese. It’s made couple house down from my mums.

Been eating badly for last couple days but tonight will be.
    Dry aged Strip on the bone ( a 5 Rib piece aged for 32 days, all black and rotten looking)
    Honey roast ribs with Crispy Crackling
    Macaroni and Cheese with gruyere
    and a nice autumn salad.

Couple of f+cers coming around to the gaff too tonight!

meatmonger
    Participant

what time we all supposed to arrive?

petitechef
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Couple of f+cers coming around to the gaff too tonight!

must have mislaid my invitation!:(

Western Star
    Participant

Grilled mackerel from Donegal on Saturday, beautifully fresh and cheap as chips. Braised oxtail on Sunday.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

pan fried hake,
    saute potatoes,
    courgettes with coconut milk, fresh coriander, lemon verbena, ginger, Vietnamese fish sauce, soy, palm sugar

Double Campari to kick off the night.

Hanna
    Participant

Roasted butternut squash and sage soup
    Slow roasted sticky pork belly (done with homey, cumin and chilli), with pan fried winter greens w/chilli and garlic
    Apple, blackberry and raspberry crumble with vanilla ice cream.
    Lots and lots of cheese, including an especially nyom epoisses.

I loves the Autumn.

foodfiend
    Participant

On Wexford produce had on Sunday night Wexford Ox Tongue with parsley sauce Donegal spuds and Wicklow savoy cabbage a veritable guaranteed Irish feast.

sean_dru
    Participant

3 bowls of curly kale, chive & potato soup. am on a liquid diet:p

chefsmith
    Participant

I had to give my prized beed and pork away :mad::mad:
    was poisoned at the new indian place in malahide 😡
    2 days of cabbage soup
    I am now officially off indians.
    anyone got any ideas on how to get revenge on say a new indian that has poisoned you?
    Any of my own idea’s are not legal in the extreme

Im seriously gutted about the beef, i had been working on it for weeks, i was like the creature from lord of the rings ‘ my precious’

meatmonger
    Participant

what happened the beef and pork?

chefsmith
    Participant

Ah, i didnt want to cook in case i passed on the bug, and we had no appetite anyways.
    so i gave it to my sous chef for his days off, he was chuffed.

Bruno wanted to take it back to austria with him, 6 hours in a suit case wouldn’y have boded well i reckon.

petitechef
    Participant

patatas bravas, crab cakes (nothing like Chefsmith’s!), hummous, olives, serrano ham, coronation chicken and lentil paté

fontane77
    Participant

linguine with smoked salmon in a white wine, lemon, garlic, shallots, capers and cream sauce – topped with a bit of parmesan…

it was ok – felt like i was missing something

Bob
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

I had to give my prized beed and pork away :mad::mad:
    was poisoned at the new indian place in malahide ‘

Sorry for your pain ChefSmith but your loss is most likely my gain health wise, haven’t had time to try out the new Indian yet and won’t be now

chefsmith
    Participant

@bob wrote:

Sorry for your pain ChefSmith but your loss is most likely my gain health wise, haven’t had time to try out the new Indian yet and won’t be now

Steer clear of the joint, where bilash used to be. I should have known better, place was empty at 9pm on a saturday night.

we had chunky roast pork and turnip soup last night, i used the stock that was left from the roast pork ( it sets over night and separates into lard and stock, gently scrape away the lard)
    Turnip is my all time favourite vegetable, my mrs wont eat it, they feed it to the pigs in her country.
    and haagen daaz strawberry cheesecake for dessert ( not that nice)

petitechef
    Participant

Baked figs with serrano ham & goat’s cheese followed by poussin with roast butternut squash and potato gratin.

chefsmith
    Participant

My lovely wife made pancetta dumplings, which were a disaster, she couldn’t find rolling pin so used a pint glass resulting in half centimetre thick dough.
    so we ended up with crisp sambo’s.

petitechef
    Participant

left over patatas bravas with coleslaw

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a meatloaf with cooked chunks of beef cheek, pancetta and minced beef, egg yolk and red onion jam, tarragon and thyme, wrapped in puff pastry and baked to medium.
    seved with a bit of ol mash and turnip puree
    washed down with a lovely bottle of malbec ( i forget the name- i always do)

petitechef
    Participant

Roast butternut squash & ginger soup, wholemeal spelt bread and cheese

Melendez
    Participant

I had a real pig out weekend.

Friday was the cursed Domino’s. I hate stuffing myself with food I really despise.

Saturday lunch was Hick’s venison sausages with leek mash and a cassis and onion gravy

Saturday night was La maison – Pates and Cotes de Boeuf.

Sunday was Black Sole. Not a regular in the Melendez household, but has to start being. It’s amazing that the one thing that I, and every member of the family, pounce on every time it’s seen on a restaurant menu, we’ll shy away from cooking at home. It really couldn’t be any easier or quicker to cook.

fontane77
    Participant

had a mushroom and chorizo risotto last night….heaven on a plate.

Can never get risottos in restaurants that come within a light year of my own….you restaurant people just never have the time to devote the tlc, that and you’re saving cash by putting in grana

meatmonger
    Participant

Got lovely black sole off a boat on fri. Was gone by sat night.

Lovely enchiladas last night with kick after great busy weekend
    anywhere do good mexican? Love a good burrito

shortcircuit
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

Sunday was Black Sole. Not a regular in the Melendez household, but has to start being. It’s amazing that the one thing that I, and every member of the family, pounce on every time it’s seen on a restaurant menu, we’ll shy away from cooking at home. It really couldn’t be any easier or quicker to cook.

Snap! Black sole for me this weekend too. Could any regular joe soap (i.e not in the restaurant industry) tell me what you should be paying for black sole? I’m not certain but I reckon I paid about €20/kg this weekend.

Melendez
    Participant

I paid €48 for 4 skinned fish in Cavistons. They were on offer at €12+ per lb (€26-27 per Kg) – usually €15+ per lb. I’m sure Cavistons wouldn’t be the cheapest place around but they behead and trim them for you.

Where did you get them for €20?
    (just noticed “location:Cork” – saving €6 a kilo on the fish probably wouldn’t dig much into the cost of the petrol)

meatmonger
    Participant

Whole sole makes €18 kg at auction slips make €12 and are still good size.

Western Star
    Participant

Yesterday we had just-picked wild mushrooms followed by five-hour spit-roast Connemara lamb, thanks to the good people from Slow Food Galway. Yum.

foodfiend
    Participant

In keeping with the flat fish theme had baked plaice served with roasted fennel, sweet red peppers, tomatoes, spinach and black olives. Followed closely behind by poached pears with Haggen Daz cookies and cream Ice cream.

petitechef
    Participant

pasta with a crab sauce

shortcircuit
    Participant

@meatmonger wrote:

Whole sole makes €18 kg at auction slips make €12 and are still good size.

Are slips lemon sole?

For those who are interested I got my black sole at O’ Connells in the English market

fontane77
    Participant

my wifes chilli con carne – with french onion soup for starters (didnt have any beef stock – so used chicken stock- equally as nice)

chefsmith
    Participant

Chilli con carne, now there is a blast from the past, i can not remember the last time i had that, ohh im off friday, thats what im making.

Hanna
    Participant

Chilli con carne and erm chilli con venison are frequently on the menu Chez Hanna. It’s pretty much a weekly event. Nyom, chilli.

meatmonger
    Participant

@shortcircuit wrote:

Are slips lemon sole?

Slips are Dover Sole weighing between 300-380g, 380g+ are sold as sole. toungues are lighter again. Slips give a decent portion tho.

redring
    Participant

Meatballs (Delia Smith’s recipe) with buttered noodles.

chefsmith
    Participant

@hanna wrote:

Chilli con carne and erm chilli con venison are frequently on the menu Chez Hanna. It’s pretty much a weekly event. Nyom, chilli.

When am i gonna get to taste this nyom nyom chilli con carne, i hate cooking for myself, we could do a forkn cork come dine with me

petitechef
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

When am i gonna get to taste this nyom nyom chilli con carne, i hate cooking for myself, we could do a forkn cork come dine with me

How scary would that be? 😮

chefsmith
    Participant

i’m happy to do the first one. 🙂

petitechef
    Participant

would there be crabclaws?

chefsmith
    Participant

An obscene amount.

Hanna
    Participant

An F&C “pot luck” supper?

Prime Cut
    Participant

Shepards pie kind of thing with sundays lamb with roast aubergines and made a tarte tatin with flaky pastry and apples from our neighbours garden. Many years since I made flaky pastry from scratch but boy was the whole thing good!

Hanna
    Participant

Oh yeah, back on topic.

Last nice I had smoked cod and saffron casserole with buttery spuds.

sean_dru
    Participant

egg, bacon sandwich, 5 spice carrot and tarragon soup. 22 cigarettes (tax returns) 9 lattes.

chefsmith
    Participant

Just back from a bit of a skive between services, went to the food room and had some chinese ribs with cous cous and a croque monsoier (sp?) i know it was technically soeaking two main courses, but who’s counting? im doing my bit for the recession ;-P

fontane77
    Participant

10 bottles of miller and a chicken breast burger from supermacs…….
    🙁

Hanna
    Participant

I hear ya Fontane.;)

7 pints of Guinness, a bucket load of cocktail sausages and a bag of chips on the way home.

Ughghghg.

chefsmith
    Participant

I brought some crab claws off the fisherman yesterday for home, totally forgot them and left em in the boot of the car over night
    *gags*

We had Pork rib soup with tomatoes and creme fraiché, with a mount callan and branston pickle sambo.

The mrs just made a nice big brekkie, white pudding, eggs, bacon, and toast and a nice big cup o rosie lee.

petitechef
    Participant

ugh remind me not to order crab claws again!
    Morrocan mince with Tortillas

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Massive hit of wonderful tapas washed down with brilliant wines at La Venezia in Marbella, for which much thanks to MCD and John

petitechef
    Participant

Fennel, Fig and Proscuitto Salad, Beef Malay with pineapple salad, meringue ‘mess’

chefsmith
    Participant

Slow roast ribs, jacket potatoes with melted mt callan, the mrs’ coleslaw and some rice pudding ( i always forget how good that dessert is) for dessert

Melendez
    Participant

I had a ham hock terrine and a rib steak in some dive in Clontarf. My expectations weren’t that high being a bank holiday Monday lunch but in truth nothing could be faulted and it was excellent value for money. I’ll have to have a go at the dinner menu sometime soon.

chefsmith
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

I had a ham hock terrine and a rib steak in some dive in Clontarf. My expectations weren’t that high being a bank holiday Monday lunch but in truth nothing could be faulted and it was excellent value for money. I’ll have to have a go at the dinner menu sometime soon.

Whats this dive you talk of? i must go there 😀

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Home.
    Last night lamb chops, braised in onions, stock and a little wine. Spinach, corn on the cob, mash.
    Tonight, nix, after big steak in Herbert Pk Hotel after Tesco tasting I’m stuffed.

meatmonger
    Participant

Ate in tedfords in Belfast last night and was v good. Satay beef spring roll and pork belly/squid starters. Turbot and monkish mains. Turbot was simply fantastic. They do a very good pre theatre menu for those headin to oddessy

petitechef
    Participant

Retro style sweet and sour beef

fontane77
    Participant

4 pints in the dice bar and a kebab from the turkish place on dorset street. Its very authentic and worth diverting for if you want the good stuff.

europhile
    Participant

What’s the name of the Turkish place, Fontane, and whereabouts on Dorset Street is it?

Melendez
    Participant

I got an urge to get a big pile of sushi. There must be some sort subliminal advertising going on. A soft shell crab roll, and a selection of tuna, salmon and prawn nigiri. I wont be getting the crab again, that was a first and last. Don’t like the look of it, don’t like the texture of it, didn’t get over the first two facets to appreciate any taste positives which may or may not exist. It’s not Michie Sushie’s fault, it’s just not for me. Loved the Salmon and Tuna, can take or leave the prawns.

foodfiend
    Participant

The Tastiest quick chicken dish Pollo al Ajillo fifteen minutes total in your pressure cooker yum accompanied by a mixed salad 🙂

petitechef
    Participant

patatas bravas and lots of leftovers!

chefsmith
    Participant

yesterday was a pure hangover day, so….. mcmuffins on way home from the party, which were finally eaten at 3pm, cold but welcoming, followed by a day of foolish comfort eating, including ready brek, sausage sangers, loadza tea, chewits and real mccoys ( cheese n onion)
    I had to make 4 apologetic phone calls and i winced at least 10 times recollecting antics, i haven’t had the balls yet to make the other 3 apologetic phone calls that i should have by now.

Today i made some confit chicken leg, foiegras and pancetta spring rolls, i rolled the pancetta with the spring roll pastry so when i carved it it was like a roulade.

A friend dropped in some lovely just caught ray today, so im leaving it until sunday and might even throw it on the bbq at home ( if i can persuade my sous chef i deserve a sunday night off)

petitechef
    Participant

Antipasto platter; venison casserole, mash, roast pumpkin and red cabbage; black forest gateau cupcakes; cheese. All of the above accompanied by and followed with lashings on red wine – am now having the crisps to recover!

chefsmith
    Participant

Midnight snack last night of lobster and crab claws, brown bread and budvar.

had some proper weird dreams, is there an effect like cheese with shellfish on your dreams?
    anytime i eat cheese at night i have really intense dreams, even more intense with blue cheese.

fontane77
    Participant

@europhile wrote:

What’s the name of the Turkish place, Fontane, and whereabouts on Dorset Street is it?

Its called King Kebab house and its at 96 Upper Dorset Street – the kebabs remind me of summers in Germany as a student (if that makes any sense). None of your toasted pittas here…..proper garlic sauce, just make sure you’re sleeping on your own.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Posted with great reluctance… envy is a dreadful thing, shouldn’t be encouraged

Venue: Louis XIV’s dining room, Palais de Versailles

Date: Friday 30th October 2009

Guests: 40

MENU

Les potages
    Boeuf madrilene with gold leaf spangles
    Pureed chestnut soup with truffles from the Court of Italy
    Bisque of shellfish from our coasts with a boletus infusion
    Pumpkin soup, fresh from the royal vegetable garden

Les hors d’oeuvres
    Royal ballotine of pheasant
    Petit paté en croute a la bourgeoise
    Fresh deep sea oysters
    Lobster aspic chaud froid

Les rots
    Scallops with oyster liquor
    Wild duck cromesquis a la Villeroy
    Hare stew
    Roast beef, carrots and smoked eel
    Wild salmon au sel

Les entremets
    Green and fresh herb salad in gold leaf
    Rice salad a la royale
    Morel soufflé
    Fromage glacé
    Oeuf dur

Le fruit
    Edible candle

Wine: Dom Perignon Oenotheque 1976 throughout

petitechef
    Participant

now that’s just greedy!!!!!!

Hanna
    Participant

Now that’s just cruel Ernie. 🙁

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Leg of lamb & apricot tagine, boiled basmati rice, assortment of curried vegetables

Melendez
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Posted with great reluctance… envy is a dreadful thing, shouldn’t be encouraged

Venue: Louis XIV’s dining room, Palais de Versailles

Date: Friday 30th October 2009

Guests: 40

MENU

Les potages
    Boeuf madrilene with gold leaf spangles
    Pureed chestnut soup with truffles from the Court of Italy
    Bisque of shellfish from our coasts with a boletus infusion
    Pumpkin soup, fresh from the royal vegetable garden

Les hors d’oeuvres
    Royal ballotine of pheasant
    Petit paté en croute a la bourgeoise
    Fresh deep sea oysters
    Lobster aspic chaud froid

Les rots
    Scallops with oyster liquor
    Wild duck cromesquis a la Villeroy
    Hare stew
    Roast beef, carrots and smoked eel
    Wild salmon au sel

Les entremets
    Green and fresh herb salad in gold leaf
    Rice salad a la royale
    Morel soufflé
    Fromage glacé
    Oeuf dur

Le fruit
    Edible candle

That’s what we have on Thursdays in our house.

petitechef
    Participant

That’s it Melendez – you’re hosting the inaugral FnC Come dine with me! :p

chefsmith
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

[

If it aint the ’77 it just aint worth it :D:D

You reckon we could have a fork n cork come dine with me?

I battered some lovely oysters at home yesterday, horseradish mash and leek cream sprinkled with a some smoked salmon,
    guests loved it but im not really an oyster or smoked salmon person

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

sounds delish. But I still prefer oysters in their natural state. Had some lovely Breton natives in Paris last week. Nice brasserie called Les Flottes, near the Crillon.

Leek risotto and lettuce and avocado salad tonight

chefsmith
    Participant

the mrs is away for a week, so i’m fending for me self 🙂 mount callan rare bit mix toasted on linseed bread, crispy streaky bacon and beans, it was totally enjoyable.
    On an aside, anyone going to the dubliner awards tonight?

markh
    Participant

Nasi goreng (again )

chefsmith
    Participant

12 jagerbombs and too much wine, got home and started cooking drunkenly, a roll of white pudding and 4 slices of toast, oh and i found a pizza in the oven too this morning that i had put into an over that was not turned on and forgot about it.

I know what you thinking, yes i set off all 3 smoke alarms with the ridicuously smoking hot frying pan being tended to by a drunk.

petitechef
    Participant

chefsmith i think your good wife should come home!
    just had yummy pizza made with leftover pasta sauce (mushroom & tomato), cambembert & jalapenos

fontane77
    Participant

spaghetti with garlic, shallots, white wine, cream, parmesan and bacon……yum

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

fillet of pork scalloppini (sp. Italian Foodie?) with wild mushrooms and egg lemon sauce, pureed carrots and parsley, red cabbage, roast spuds. Bottle of excellent SQ Ch Carbonnieux Graves 07.
    Espresso (Panama Palmyra Estate), small Twix and Powers 12 yo while watching Butch Cassidy…
    A good Friday night

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Herself is off to dinner with her golfing chums tonight so… bacon ribs, butter beans and lightly cooked savoy cabbage
    Nice bottle of Sancerre saved up.

First course at 2.30 – various charcuterie items washed down with a brace (at least) of speciality beers – as yet undecided. Then settle down in big leather recliner, feet up, to watch City thrash Burnley

chefsmith
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Then settle down in big leather recliner, feet up, to watch City thrash Burnley

Exciting game, i presume alot more alcohol shall now be drank?? 😀

After getting inspired during the week, i got some mountain lambs bellies, confit them over night, left to cool and portioned, breaded and pan fried, proper delish, didn’t taste flavours like that in a good while.
    i reduced the separated stock which they were cooked in, with some rosemary, it was quite salty so i finished with a touch of cream and soem xo vinegar, made a little salsa with shallots , lemon juice and mint.

petitechef
    Participant

My mum’s potato cakes, baked beans and crispy rashers….well it is a cold miserable saturday………

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Exciting game, i presume alot more alcohol shall now be drank?? 😀

Bottle of Sancerre preceded by large Campari. Followed by D’Arenberg ‘The Custodian’ Grenache and whatever I fancy next…

chefsmith
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Bottle of Sancerre preceded by large Campari. Followed by D’Arenberg ‘The Custodian’ Grenache and whatever I fancy next…

I got a 12 pack of heineken, im on my way.

fontane77
    Participant

bacon & cabbage with a dijon mustard sauce and mash….

local butcher is selling shoulders of bacon for €3.99 – love the stringy flesh from it….

meatmonger
    Participant

Made a lovely lamb, tomato and spinach curry, but didn’t get to eat it yet! Instead ended up in busy Derry restaurant but was again wondering why busy! 12 chicken dishes, mostly farmed fish, nothing artisan or even listed as local, little sigh of stocks/jus and plenty stuff out of jars.

Place is busiest in Derry! And has been for long long time. Fair play to them

petitechef
    Participant

corn on the cob smothered in butter and salt

fontane77
    Participant

thai green curry – plum tarte tatin for dessert – my pastry worked for the first time ever:)

chefsmith
    Participant

Usual chefs dinner, the leftovers from service, this time was a well done steak, potato gratin and turnip pureé
    and man was it good after a heavy 16 hour day.

fontane77
    Participant

chicken casserole with ras el hanout spice blend

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

slow cooked belly of pork, caramelized apples, bubble & squeak, red cabbage

petitechef
    Participant

chicken in a mustard and cream sauce, pommes boulangere and spicy parsnip mash

fontane77
    Participant

beef bouguignon with the orange peel….

petitechef
    Participant

spicy wedges with mayo – both homemade of course!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Chicken with a Moroccan-inspired sauce, spinach, boiled rice

chefsmith
    Participant

Made some bbq ribs with some fried potatoes and some cheese from salzburg with a beetroot salad.

The mrs is going making cakes today, i wish i could be a fly on the wall, god love her she cant cook or bake for her life.

Prime Cut
    Participant

I cooked an inedible vegetable thai curry, well i didn’t think it was that bad but my other wouldn’t go past the first forkful. Sweet potato, red pepper, a few old mushrooms, green beans, coconut milk, red curry paste…it looked great!! Think we’re better with meat!

petitechef
    Participant

bowl of crisps and glass of red wine…….

Hanna
    Participant

Roast butternut squash and sage soup, with chorizo oil and chorizo

Game and mushroom pie, with parsnip gratin, kale with chilli and garlic and baby potatoes.

Chocolate layer cake with chocolate fudge sauce and raspberries.

Cheese

WAYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much wine :)/ 🙁

petitechef
    Participant

Hanna like the sound of the parsnip gratin!

Hanna
    Participant

Yeah, it was lovely. I hadn’t done it before, but I heart parsnips.

Basically, it was 700g parsnip chunks mixed with 150g Gruyere. Added 400ml double cream mixed with 400ml milk, infused with pinch nutmeg, 2 crushed cloves garlic, salt and pepper (bring all this to the boil, allow to cool slightly before pouring over parsnip/cheese mixture) Cooked for 90 mins @ 180 degrees middle shelf in oven in a bain marie.

Grate a little parmesan on top, finish with a quick trip under the grill.

Nyoms.

petitechef
    Participant

mmmmm sounds gorgeous – definitely going to try it. Thanks Hanna.
    Try this one if ♥ parsnips!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3249/jazzedup-parsnip-mash

Hanna
    Participant

Oh, yes! Thanks! Chilli AND Parsnip? Whooo!

europhile
    Participant

Grilled lamb steaks from Ennis Butchers in Rialto marinated in smoked paprika, lemon juice and olive oil with roasted butternut squash, red onion, courgette and red pepper. Swoon.

petitechef
    Participant

fared slightly better tonight – lamb tagine with couscous

Hanna
    Participant

Large quantities of deep fried foods, courtesy of our local takeaway.

After abovementioned large amounts of wine, I was restricted to reclining on t’sofa all day yesterday.

chefsmith
    Participant

Hanna, i love your style!!

I turned some leftover bbq ribs into sandwiches with some coleslaw, washed down with a glass of ’09 ribena.

Then i ate my wife’s last few Oberlaa chocolates from austria and denied it when she got mad.

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Hanna, i love your style!!.

You wouldn’t if you saw me on Saturday….:D

Anways, last night:

Roast pheasant with pistachio stuffing.
    Parsnip gratin
    Roast potatoes
    Pheasant gravy

chefsmith
    Participant

Hanna, you seem to do some serious cooking.

I landed home to a burnt chicken kiev, smoky kitchen, hungry cat, mental toddler and a wife oblivious to it all, so made chicken kiev and red onion sambo’s ……..seems to be the story of my life at the moment, turning leftovers into sarnies.

petitechef
    Participant

@hanna wrote:

Roast pheasant with pistachio stuffing.
    Parsnip gratin
    Roast potatoes
    Pheasant gravy

I’m free for dinner!

chefsmith
    Participant

I was thinking the same thing PC !!!

petitechef
    Participant

def sounds better than the potato wedges I have in the oven!!!!
    Hanna what time should we arrive? :p

bigjoe
    Participant

just had 2 boiled eggs with some brown bread with real butter and a can of coke, lovely,

Hanna
    Participant

Aww guys, you’re professionals, I’d be morto…..I’m only a messer.

But, Cooking: the ultimate way to wind down from a day of fighting the good fight.

petitechef
    Participant

@hanna wrote:

Aww guys, you’re professionals, I’d be morto…..I’m only a messer.

But, Cooking: the ultimate way to wind down from a day of fighting the good fight.

Hanna i’m definitely not in the same league as the likes of Chef Smith – I’m a home cook who uses my love of food to earn a living!

chefsmith
    Participant

What’s the good fight? Mosey ain’t I

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

What’s the good fight? Mosey ain’t I

Oh, you know, socking it to the man and stuff. 😉

I should point out, I never post on this thread when dinner consists of supernoodle sandwiches, burgers or chilli. 😀

chefsmith
    Participant

Supernoodle sambo’s ??? Even I don’t go that far :-).
    Socking it to the man eh?
    Are you robin hood

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Supernoodle sambo’s ??? Even I don’t go that far :-).

My OH goes mad for them…Personally, raw white pudding on toast. Noms.

petitechef
    Participant

I was just trying to figure out supernoodle sambos and then you go and throw in raw white pudding………. you’re only making these up so we won’t want to come to dinner aren’t you?

Hanna
    Participant

I’d say guilty as charged, except, well, I *didn’t* make them up……:o

fontane77
    Participant

rack of lamb with potatoes

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Sibella is on a diet so I made my own fish and chips – big lump of battered hake. Shame no mushies, mange tout don’t have quite the same appeal.

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a wood pigeon salad, wrapped the pigeon in Italian lardo, with some pancetta lardons, caramelised walnuts, Raising soaked in a brandy tea mix and fried some trumpette mushrooms and soused them with sherry vinegar,

was awesome and shall be going straight on my x mas menus.

I am currently cooking an amazing 4 rib chunk of striploin on the bone, honey glazed pork belly, potato gratin, roast tatties, and i’ll do swede and cauliflower in a mornay sauce.
    Old School style.

Hanna, I think we should copyright your idea’s, someones gonna start copying you and supernoodle sambo bars are gonna start popping up everywhere.
    Get yourself on dragons den quicktime

‘ and its a first for the den, all the dragons are vomiting, theo has puked into the vase’

italian foodie
    Participant

The busier I am feeding the whole of Limerick the less I get to eat. I had a ham samich and doritos. Hanna count me in too;)

petitechef
    Participant

cup of tea and a slice of toast – with a dark chocolate hobnob for dessert!

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

‘ and its a first for the den, all the dragons are vomiting, theo has puked into the vase’

Cynic. Don’t knock ’em till you try ’em.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Pork chop with home made bbq sauce, baked Rooster and spinach

burkean
    Participant

Pork belly and venison burger. Had to use up the leftover meat from stuffing Sunday’s guinea fowl.

Tasty…

fontane77
    Participant

the wifes perfectly spiced chili con carne (again). Gotta hand it to her, she’s becoming a dab hand at rustling up a feed for when I come home. I got soup for starters aswell…….

chefsmith
    Participant

Lucky you fontane, i normally look into the pot when i get home, grimace and pull out the bread and hope there is some fillings in teh fridge, if not, toast 😀

I totally overcooked my beef last night, well embarrased. it was well done but nicely moist still.

Im going to try crispy pancakes tonight, have some beef cheeks cooked, might do a beef and pearl onion flavour.

Melendez
    Participant

I think there’s a lot of snobbery about having meat rare. Duck and lamb in particular can taste just as nice if its done properly well done, nor do I see any problem with a fillet steak for example. It’s only a matter of cooking the blood out of it and leaving it rest properly. My other half was brought up with all her meat “very” well done, and prefers it well done, the amount of restaurants who incinerate or completely dry out her meat when she asks for it thus, just to prove how shit they can make it, really is amazing. A rack of lamb or fillet steak should be a tender cut anyway you can do it well done without making it tough.

italian foodie
    Participant

I’m a rare freak, I just can’t eat it if it’s overdone!

chefsmith
    Participant

I agree with the lamb, but not the duck, unless its confit’d of course.
    I prefer lamb well done( except rack), but as you said properly well done.

A juicy, well rested ,medium rare duck breast is one of the true pleasures to carve into

Melendez, in my experience re. the very well done steaks, i’ve tried many many times over the years to do a juicy well done steak for customers, and more often than not, they come back to the kitchen, against all my better judgements, if someone asks for very well done, i squeeze the shit outta it before serving. Other wise, you can bet your arse the aul one who ordered it will either
    A. send it back.
    B. complain to everyone she knows how shite the restaurant is or
    C. smile sweetly, says its lovely but she is too full, then proceed onto option B

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Last night I had lots to eat. At La Serre. In the company of CA1, Fontane77, chefsmith, Petitechef, Meatmonger and mystery guest George of The Yard.
    Those who missed it missed a treat. More anon.

chefsmith
    Participant

Had a collar of bacon, roast turnip and Boiled Rooster potatoes cooked in the stock whilst the bacon was getting a nice glaze in the oven., to which i added long slivers or raw onion for last 5 mins of boiling and sweetheart cabbage for last 30 seconds and drained and was left with a delicious potato, cabbage and onion mix.

as hanna would say
    nyom nyom.

Shame i was forced to endure the x factor whilst eating.

Hanna
    Participant

Just had Balti prawns with hot sauce. I may have misjudged the chilli quantities. Much beer being consumed as I type.

petitechef
    Participant

fish pie and cauliflower cheese – I know it mighn’t sound the best mix but i found them side by side in the freezer and as Hanna would say ‘nyom nyom’ :p

Hanna
    Participant

@petitechef wrote:

fish pie and cauliflower cheese – I know it mighn’t sound the best mix but i found them side by side in the freezer and as Hanna would say ‘nyom nyom’ :p

I certainly would. Cauliflower cheese = nyoms.

(Keep meaning to try HFW’s cheese cauliflower, too – deep fried cheese in cauliflower sauce.)

europhile
    Participant

That sounds like excellent hangover food.

chefsmith
    Participant

Went all meaty last night,
    Boned and rolled a lovely free range turkey leg, stuffed it with a hazelnut and grape stuffing, half forcemeat half breadcrumbs and some sage, slow roasted for 3 hours in lots of turkey stock and pork fat, slow roast pork leg and a cube roll of some lovely hereford beef.
    separated all the stock and made a rissotto with the stocks from all 3 meats.

Gave some to the neighbours who knocked in after getting the smell of food into their place
    ( cheeky eh 😀 )

Old Tart
    Participant

If I knew where you lived, I’d knock in too!

chefsmith
    Participant

@Old Tart wrote:

If I knew where you lived, I’d knock in too!

Hey!!! I’m married ok 🙂

Old Tart
    Participant

So am I! Just because I’m on a diet doesn’t mean I can’t look at the menu

chefsmith
    Participant

It’s a tasty menu too
    hehe

markh
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

It’s a tasty menu too
    hehe

What modesty….:D

petitechef
    Participant

@markh wrote:

What modesty….:D

it’s his middle name!:D

chefsmith
    Participant

Last night made some lamb meatballs in a cumin tomato sauce and some potato blinis.
    Was nice but the lamb was a bit testostoroney if you know what that tastes like, and the blinis a little greasy.

Was bit of a let down to be honest.

europhile
    Participant

For some reason I’m reminded of Marilyn Monroe’s words on being served matzo balls yet again by Arthur Miller’s mother.

“Isn’t there any other part of a matzo you can eat?”

fontane77
    Participant

carrot, ginger and coriander soup with some cracking toasted ciabatta

Old Tart
    Participant

Steak & Kidney pie. Yum!

Hanna
    Participant

In the spirit of the imminent festive season:

Honey and Mustard Roast Ham
    Taters
    Peas and carrots
    Parsley sauce, made with the end of the parsley from the garden.

I really, really, REALLY like ham.

petitechef
    Participant

@hanna wrote:

In the spirit of the imminent festive season:

Honey and Mustard Roast Ham
    Taters
    Peas and carrots
    Parsley sauce, made with the end of the parsley from the garden.

I really, really, REALLY like ham.

Hanna, when we come to dinner I won’t have any ham thanks!

Hanna
    Participant

@petitechef wrote:

Hanna, when we come to dinner I won’t have any ham thanks!

You is a crayzee laydee. Ham, bacon, pork, saussies…..finest things know to (wo)man.

So, what would you like instead?

chefsmith
    Participant

My wife roasted a ham last night too, had some lovely doorstep sangers with warm ham, brie, ballymaloe and red onion.
    big mug of rosie lee and a chocolate christmas card from larousse foods.

Prime Cut
    Participant

Chefsmith, your lamb was probably what is called ‘ram-lamb’, these are male lambs that haven’t been ‘done’ properly or alternatively not done at all and the meat develops a taint. I would certainly complain to your butcher who if he didn’t kill the lambs himself should not be getting these lambs from his abbatoir.

fontane77
    Participant

a poxy steak from centra – it was apparently sirloin but I was in a severe rush and it was gushing down. My creamy pepper sauce made up for it.

chefsmith
    Participant

@Prime Cut wrote:

Chefsmith, your lamb was probably what is called ‘ram-lamb’, these are male lambs that haven’t been ‘done’ properly or alternatively not done at all and the meat develops a taint. I would certainly complain to your butcher who if he didn’t kill the lambs himself should not be getting these lambs from his abbatoir.

Your dead right, it was ram lamb, and i hate the stuff, had cooked a huge leg for friends years ago and none of us enjoyed it, it a foul taste. ( we ended up ordering pizza)

My wife picked up the minced lamb in superquinn, didnt realise until I cooked and tasted it.
    Is it only lamb that gets that testosterone flavour?

Im slow roasting a goose for tonights dinner.

Hanna
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Is it only lamb that gets that testosterone flavour?.

Ram Lamb isn’t half as bad as boar-tainted pork. Vom.

chefsmith
    Participant

Goose was abandoned in favour of a good few scoops in Byrnes and an indie spice takeaway
    peshwari naan is truly a masterpiece 🙂

petitechef
    Participant

Got a present of pork steak from my friends’ rarebreed pigs – stuffed it with apricot stuffing – didn’t have time to cook anything with it so just had it on the hoof!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Damn all! Herself is too busy what with (overseas rellies arrival, organising a maiden aunt’s funeral and playing golf) to shop and I’m too ill and too knackered to cook.
    Okay, that’s a lie. Damn all, that is. Actually I ate the last 1/3 of a pack of feta, 3 cherry tomatoes, a wilting celery heart and the last half of a Spanish onion on 2 slices of granary toast (one being the crust)
    Hard times come to Forkncork Towers.:(
    Did manage a few glasses of Delaforce 10 year old Tawny though (medicinal purposes)

petitechef
    Participant

Pizza Express Pizza & Tesco finest coleslaw….don’t expel me please! I’m too busy cooking for other people to bother doing anything for myself….is it Christmas yet????

fontane77
    Participant

dinner in moloughneys in clontarf

started with hot smoked salmon with a beetroot creme fraiche followed by a rather bland tasteless shoulder of lamb. its christmas though……

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a Home made pizza dough with some mozzarella, parmesan, pancetta and sun dried tomatoes, turned out better than i thought it would
    and some langoustines fried in a chorizo ans lemon butter with brown bread
    with a nice green salad and mince pies for dessert.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Just killed half bot 02 Sauternes w/foie gras, Baby Jesus salami, Montgomery cheddar & Shroppie blue. It’s called ‘writing your Christmas letters’

italian foodie
    Participant

Pretty impressive spread by the “MIL” this year. I’m still stuffed

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8658&id=1742642527&ref=mf

chefsmith
    Participant

IF, your mil’s food looks seriously delish, how does one score an invite to next years Christmas , I’d even lower myself to coming to Limerick :p
    nar seriously though it made me salivitate.

We had, overnight confit duck, turkey leg stuffed with a jane russel sausage meat stuffing, roast turkey breast, ( had goose but forgot to cook it) glazed ham ( got some rare ballyferiter honey) and usual trimmings.

Pavlova with spiced roast plums and cream

waaayy too many quality streets

markh
    Participant

Dog (known locally as RW) and goat last night – I was at a wedding.

chefsmith
    Participant

The dogs name was RW ? What’s that short for?
    R for rover I’m guessing? 😀

is there anything we could pop into a parcel for you?
    I’d happily give a fellow f and c er a Christmas treat

petitechef
    Participant

some of your beef bougignone and a few crab claws please :p

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

1. Bannow Bay mussels mariniere

2. The finest roast duck I’ve ever eaten, a free range Indian Runner, killed Weds and procured for me by Billy Whitty, bless him. Duck has become a NY Eve tradition, chez Ernesto. The flesh was superb, only trouble it didn’t give off very much fat – the free range fitness I suppose – but a worthwhile trade-off. I served it with puréed butternut squash, spiced red cabbage with apricots, potato ‘blinis’ incorporating chorizo, green chilli, scallions and goat cheese and a Floydian gravy, not a dab of ‘bloody jus’ and made with giblet stock, tangerine syrup and PX sherry.

3. panna cotta

4. Cheese – Shropshire Blue, Montgomery Cheddar, Ardrahan with Bath Olivers – the original ‘nothing biscuit’ but so good with cheese.

5. Some lovely nut and choccie creations, made by Ross our young neighbour and sold for ‘a good cause’. Espresso (me) from single estate Panama Esmerelda

Washed down with champagne (my annual New Year ‘spoil’ to myself – Febvre please note, bought and paid for (hint, hint) Taittinger Comte de Champagne); Langlois Chateau Sancerre 2007 (her); and Casa Marin Pinot Noir 2005 (me)

We saved half the fizz for Jools Holland at midnight.

Bliss.

markh
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

The dogs name was RW ? What’s that short for?
    R for rover I’m guessing? 😀

is there anything we could pop into a parcel for you?
    I’d happily give a fellow f and c er a Christmas treat

Chefsmith, I should have been clearer ! When dog meat is served here, for some reason it’s never described as “daging anjing” (dog meat) but always as RW which is short for Rintek Wuuk (which means “fine hair” in the language of North Sulawesi). I’m not sure what the reason for using this euphemism is, as there’s no attempt to hide what it is you’re eating and it’s a special dish for celebrations such as First Communions, weddings, etc.

Reyour parcel offer, I second petitechef’s request !! Seriously though, the postal service to here is appalling so it would probably never arrive (I’m still waiting for two parcels that I know were sent from Canada and ireland in mid-November). The offer is very much appreciated though !

Mark

unclepat
    Participant

Very nice dinner in Dillingers last night. Excellent clam chowder followed by really tasty veal parmagina with wild mushrooms. All washed down with a superb Priorat which was very good value for money.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Cooked 3 curries for dinner party last night
    Beef Madras
    Thai green with chicken and preserved lemons
    Aubergine, mushroom & dhal

fontane77
    Participant

got a deboned leg of pork which I sliced into six lengths, marinaded overnight (soy sauce/hoi sin/sherry and sugar) and roasted tonight for cantonese roast pork…..

worked out very well, flashed the cooked pork in the wok with some ginger, garlic, chili and green peppers. served over rice.

Who needs the local chinese?

hutspot
    Participant

Followed the David Thompson recp. for thai green curry that was in this weeks Sunday Times and replaced the pea aubergine with haricot vert and used the left over chicken from a lovely roast we had yesterday for the meat and stock.It was sexy. Making your own paste makes such a difference have not done it in ages and forgotten how good it can be.

meatmonger
    Participant

this is from a friend and relates to last night!!…

Went to Mugaritz last night!* Struggled after the 6th course but it was fab!*One dish was watermellon that had been cooked in a really low overn for hours, frozen, cooked again*the same way and it was*really nice!*bizarre!* it was advertised as carpaccio and when the waiter asked (name delated)’s colleague how her beef was, she said it wasn’t beef at all and we had to guess!*

petitechef
    Participant

M&S venison burgers with homemade potato wedges and mushroom marsala sauce – nyoom!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Crab claws to start (thanks Brian)

Guinea fowl with pomegranate reduction, baked Rooster spuds, butternut squash puree, savoy cabbage (sweet and sour, with caraway seeds, balsamico & maple syrup)

Hanna
    Participant

@meatmonger wrote:

Went to Mugaritz last night!* Struggled after the 6th course but it was fab!*One dish was watermellon that had been cooked in a really low overn for hours, frozen, cooked again*the same way and it was*really nice!*bizarre!* it was advertised as carpaccio and when the waiter asked (name delated)’s colleague how her beef was, she said it wasn’t beef at all and we had to guess!*

I went to Mugaritz last June and had the same dish and the same “Guess the meat” conversation with the waiter. It was one of the nicest dishes I had – it tastes and looks *nothing* like watermelon – more like exceptionally pink and sweet beef. Nyoms.

unclepat
    Participant

@hanna wrote:

I went to Mugaritz last June and had the same dish and the same “Guess the meat” conversation with the waiter. It was one of the nicest dishes I had – it tastes and looks *nothing* like watermelon – more like exceptionally pink and sweet beef. Nyoms.

Ditto…and I’ll second that nyoms!

unclepat
    Participant

Took the staff to The Pig’s Ear last night for the Christmas Party. Food, wine and service were all excellent and a great night had by all. Too old for boozing on a school night though….

Hanna
    Participant

I went to Venu last night and had their really quite well priced Set Menu. Chouce of 5 starters, 5 mains and 4 desserts – €25.

I had the prawns in broth with vermicilli noodles with chilli, coriander and olive seeds, followed by a cheeseburger (!) and then chocolate fondant with caramel ice cream. I have to say, the cheeseburger was one of the nicest I’ve ever had.

Other buddies had:-

scallop with pea puree and pork belly to start, which looked divine, followed by hake with chorizo, broad bean, olives and fennel.

slow roasted tomato tart with whipped goats cheese followed by pheasant breast.

Menu there look a lot smaller than it used to do, it has changed quite a lot…

The cocktails are still most excellent, though…..;)

Melendez
    Participant

I went to Venu a fair few times in the 12-18 months after it opened. I always enjoyed it, to the extent that I’d recommend it to anyone who would listen, but for some reason I’m not too sure of, stopped going there. There always seemed to be somewhere newer or trendier or more exciting when we’d take the trouble to go into town.

What a fickle lot we restaurant goers are.

I didn’t read Guilbaud inc.’s financial woes with as much care as I ought to, but got the impression Venu is somewhere at the centre of it. It’s been said on here that good food will survive on its own without PR. I’m not sure that holds true in Central Dublin unless you really stand head and shoulders above the direct competition. Maybe they are still getting the trade and there are other reasons for the financial troubles.

As a matter of interest, Hanna, was the restaurant full?

Hanna
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

… I always enjoyed it, to the extent that I’d recommend it to anyone who would listen, but for some reason I’m not too sure of, stopped going there. There always seemed to be somewhere newer or trendier or more exciting when we’d take the trouble to go into town.

I’m the same – I recommend it to anyone who’s going in a group, especially if they like a cocktail. The reason I sorta stopped going is that it was a bit too trendy for me!

@melendez wrote:

As a matter of interest, Hanna, was the restaurant full?

It was, ooooh, say 80% full. There was a good buzz, but it was by no means packed. I felt something might be up when I say the somewhat compacted menu, but the food was as good as I ever remembered.

unclepat
    Participant

They now close for lunch except Saturdays and close lunch and dinner on Mondays since Christmas. I read that Patrick Guilbaud resigned as a director-didn’t read about any specific financial woes.
    Strange as it may seem, one of the reasons the lunch business died is that there no mobile phone/broadband/wifi coverage whatsoever in Venu.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Cooked 3 curries
    1) Madhur Jaffrey’s Hyderabad lamb (I used beef)
    2) Sunil Gai’s potatoes (thanks, Sunil)
    3) My own aubergine & mushroom
    All from scratch (no pastes or powders), all very well received by guests.

Hanna
    Participant

@bob wrote:

…. When i make it back to Westport An Port Mor is the restaurant I want to try as well as KHH

I went to An Port Mor on Saturday night with the outlaws. I’d been looking forward to it for a while – ever since it won Newcomer of the Year award last year. It tends to be quite busy at the weekend, and not the place you can stroll into at 8pm on a Saturday night (always good to see!)

It’s a strange one….. the starters were excellent – I had a crab and gruyere tart, and the others had Pig cheeks with Kellys black pudding, apple and vanilla compote and roasted apple, and the day’s special – prawn cocktail. In addition, the basket of breads supplied was really very good – home made breadsticks, sodea bread, foccacia, cumin baps….
    However, I thought the mains as a whole were moderate, at best, and with our expectations being pretty high after the starters/breads, pretty disappointing.

The mains themselves were quite good and also pretty sizeable (stuffed chicken breast, lemon sole in cream, garlic and parsley, fillet of cod, and fish of the day – halibut). However, each came with the “potato and veg(s) of the day”.So, each of these mains was accompanied by (pretty poor) mash, stewed red peppers, carrot and coriander, red cabbage, sauteed spinach, brussel sprouts and a floret of cauliflower with some grated cheese on top……It was overwhelming and with the exception of the chiken, matched pretty poorly with the mains the rest of us ordered. It’s not all that cheap, at €18 – €17 for a main course.

The veg tasted like it had been cooked earlier that day, reheated and then left under a hotlamp for a little too long, (evidenced by a unpleasant crust on the mash). I have to say, the one-size-fits-all approach to the veg was a bit depressing. The fact that the veg wasn’t very well cooked really dragged the meal down to an almost mediocre level. For dessert, we shared a very excellent lemon tart and some coffee. Service was quite friendly and the staff were well informed about the menu etc. The room itself isn’t bad, but some of the tables are a little awkwardly placed. Unfortunately we got the table beside the toilets, which was a little cramped and it required some gyrating to get out of my seat to visit the facilities…

I thin if the veg/potato issue was sorted, this could be quite a good restaurant. As it stands however, I wouldn’t be in a huge rush back – I think Sage restaurant, also in Wesport, (where we ate on Friday night) is exhibiting simpler, better, more keenly priced cooking.

alex
    Participant

i know what you mean – i hate the way some “fancy” restaurants bring out that standard bowl of veggies – a few boiled spuds, carrots, maybe some brocolli – regardless of what you’re having for your main course.

Hanna
    Participant

That’s it, Alex. The veg and spuds seem to be an afterthough, larruped onto the side so that no-one can complain there weren’t enough potatoes/wasn’t enough to eat.

A side of, say, just some wilted cabbage and/or a wee portion of gratin would have been ideal….

burkean
    Participant

I made a Tessa Kiros marinated bass dish – three sliced fillets of seabass, 1/2 a red pepper, one chopped pickled pepper (peperoncino), lemon juice, olive oil, s’n’p – left it to “cook” for 4 hours and garnish with parsley. Very tasty and more flavour than the effort suggested.

Made a Silver Spoon pasta recipe that was very simply pancetta, butter, parmesan and sliced black truffle… in retrospect, given the quality of truffles I had to hand, it would have been better to use a good truffle oil. But still – very simple and worthwhile.

Prime Cut
    Participant

Homemade onion tart with our own black pudding inside, really good!

unclepat
    Participant

Pasta with creme fraiche, tarragon and lemon while watching The Restaurant from Sunday on iPlayer. Francis Brennan was hilarious and I think I spied a camio from a ForknCorker!?

petitechef
    Participant

Baked potato with creamed leeks

punto
    Participant

@unclepat wrote:

Pasta with creme fraiche, tarragon and lemon while watching The Restaurant from Sunday on iPlayer. Francis Brennan was hilarious and I think I spied a camio from a ForknCorker!?

I thought he was brilliant too. He makes great TV, even though I’m not mad about At your Service, and I was delighted to see that when my good pal TomD is with someone who knows what they are talking about, he just shuts up and agrees with everything they say. The fact that he got the wine right, I am pretty sure that we will see an ‘amazing’ review of the Park Kenmare shortly as you can be sure that Brennan tipped him off and the ‘oh there’s a surprise’ didnt do much to convince me otherwise.

I have to admit though, that complete and utter idiot Lee Bradshaw does my head in. He’s like a mungrul dog that you stare at for ages trying to figure out just what breed is he. Part time model, part time entertainer, part time restauranteur, part time eurovision wanna be and the list gors on

italian foodie
    Participant

@unclepat wrote:

I missed it, ooooooh tell us more, who was it?:)

unclepat
    Participant

I think I’ll let the lady in question identify herself if she wants to!

Old Tart
    Participant

Ok, I’ll admit it. It was me! I didn’t realise so many people watched that programme. I agree that Francis Brennan was definitely the star of the show, which is more than I can say about the food 😉

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Back on topic…

Pork chops cooked in wine and cream with morels, sauté potatoes, spinach and carrot batons

hutspot
    Participant

Had roast Skreel (winter cod) with a herb crust, nantes carrots and new season broad beans in a butter emulsion, all shamlessly lifted from Kellers Ad Hoc, good book.

petitechef
    Participant

Pasta with spicy tomato and pepper sauce

burkean
    Participant

Pasta with home-made wild garlic pesto – picked a massive bag of it in Kent last weekend.

fontane77
    Participant

spaghetti with homemade spicy meatballs in a rich tomato sauce….mmm

Had forgotten how easy and delicious these are!

Lisboa81
    Participant

first had lentil soup made with 8 cloves garlic and coriander. mmmmm

then had basmati rice with malai kofta. the kofta kinda of broke up because i didn’t deep fry them but the curry gravy was delicious.

Old Tart
    Participant

Finally got around to making Mumrez Khan’s Lamb & Spinach Karahi. It was well worth the effort. Delish!

petitechef
    Participant

pasta with some wild garlic

europhile
    Participant

Grilled haddock with chermoula a la Nigel Slater. VERY good.

petitechef
    Participant

Salmon Cake with cucumber salad followed by lasagne, salad & home made bread with herb butter. All washed down with a superb bottle of St Emillion

burkean
    Participant

Not last night but Saturday evening after a lengthy spell in Borough market:

Wild boar bacon, poached duck-eggs and creamed parmesan and white truffle on crustini
    Roasted red pepper, tomato and wild garlic soup
    Scallops and black pudding with a shallot puree
    A lot of chese

Nice…

chefsmith
    Participant

Made some Ham Hock, mustard and chive terrine with some crispy fried mushrooms, bit of roast chicken and some homemade brown bread, with a big ice cold pint of milk ( me and bruno having a battle of the wits here to see who can not succumb to a few beers first, the forfeit being a dinner in any restaurant the winner wants)

Day before we had Aubergine Steaks, sliced into big slabs, fried till black on both sides, rubed with garlic and salt and ate with some Tomato Salad and Mayo, lovely.

bruno
    Participant

he’s only worried cos l facebook drunk.

actually i regularly forkncork drunk!

b.

chefsmith
    Participant

Someone has obviously succumbed 🙂

here’s where i wanna be taken
    http://www.meinlamgraben.at/Page.aspx?target=229088&l=2&

Cheers

punto
    Participant

I’ve never done this post but last night I had fresh cockles that I got myself poached in some chablis and wild garlic. Super fresh loaf of bread and rest of said bottle of chablis. Simlpy amazing

hutspot
    Participant

Pan Fried Cod,new season white asparagus,samphire, , lentils with creme fraiche and parsley.White wine asparagus sauce followed by stewed rhubarb with custard and cream and caramalised brazil nut topping .
    Plate licking good,
    Bottle prosecco to start then some napier chardonnay and then some brandy to finish,very good night.

chefsmith
    Participant

Just reading about the cockles are making me jealous, i’d always taken fresh seafood for granted, now i would kill for some fresh, clams, prawns and scallops and man i would love some spanking fresh hake.

Was at two tasting events yesterday and pigged out bigtime, so today the mrs boiled a few spuds, chopped gherkins and dill and just a plate of em, they were the local early seasons and man were they good, so , um potato-ey and smooth.

Simple is great.

foodfiend
    Participant

No time to cook late home from work so just knocked up a mature cheddar and chorizo fritatta served with a mixed salad. Yum though

italian foodie
    Participant

Mon – pasta with Italian sausage, cream and basil..
    Tues – simple rib eye with courgette chips..
    Weds – toasted ham & cheese(rovagnati ham from SQ the best out there)..
    Today – had a very simple courgette and pecorino pasta today so a roast chicken sambo tonight..

And we made fresh tiramisu today in the shop so a bit of that too:)

unclepat
    Participant

Penne with plum tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and rocket.

Melendez
    Participant

I had an Avocafest. Cheese bread with a few dips (hummus, sundried tomato pesto, normal pesto and black olive tapenade). I’m sure it’s all very easy to make, but it’s easier to buy and very tasty.

chefsmith
    Participant

Left over special
    Pack of 3 cheese Ravioli,- theres a very good italian shop that makes them for takeaway, great
    some minced pork meatballs fried in a pan with some aubergine slices

Drained the rav, added spoon of saccla tom sauce and spoon creme fraiche and mixed in aubergine and meatballs

was delish and took 6-7 mins

italian foodie
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

I had an Avocafest. Cheese bread with a few dips (hummus, sundried tomato pesto, normal pesto and black olive tapenade). I’m sure it’s all very easy to make, but it’s easier to buy and very tasty.

Maybe easy but would take a while to make all that;)

chefsmith
    Participant

Great little Turkish bakery on our road, so we done home made 1/2 pork 1/2 beef burgers with some styrian cheese in the Turkish bread. Some baklava and strange but lovely walnut shortbread yokes.

petitechef
    Participant

Spiced chickpeas and spicy herby couscous with natural yoghurt and mint :p

Old Tart
    Participant

Had my parents over for lunch on Sunday. Pushed the boat out and bought a whooping piece of rib roast on the bone. What a difference the bones made to the flavour. It was absolutely delicious.

chefsmith
    Participant

I lurve beef on the bone, my fav food smell is roasting the beef bones for stock, we always scoop out the marrow before they go into stockpot and lash onto some White bread and some sea salt, heaven .

Me and the wifey cooked tonight, some home made curd cheese ravioli that she used to have as a kid and I did a tomato and creme fraiche sauce and put in some german black forest ham and loads of organic dill, was lighter than it sounds and delish.

Brought some Organic basil , dill and marjoram plants for windowsill, they’ve tripled in size in a week, first time my toddler has not either bathed, haircutted or dug up my plant pots, give it time though I reckon 🙂

fontane77
    Participant

Insalata Mixta

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Planted veggies in the warm afternoon. Did some proper cooking tonight: pot-roasted pheasant with juniper berries and cepes; roasted aubergine, pepper, sweetcorn and dauphinoise potatoes; made some coffee (Yemeni mocha) ice cream and Tori’s (or was it Pip’s?) almond cake. Jane Hunter’s Chardonnay 2007 & Luis Pato’s Baga 2005.Life is sweet.

burkean
    Participant

Half price halibut (£10 for two huge fillets) from Furness Fish in Borough Market. Poached in olive oil and served with cucumber and dill. Boiled new Jersey Royals on the side with butter and chives.

Yummy.

Western Star
    Participant

A rack of lamb I picked up in Colleran’s on Saturday. It was fantastic.

markh
    Participant

Bavette and Frites in Chez Max, Baggot Street. Long awaited and didn’t disappoint !

burkean
    Participant

After a half day to watch the football and a lot of booze, I had a lamb kofte kebab at the Bosphorous in South Kensington.

AWESOME!

Proof if ever it were needed that done properly, the kebab is a culinary miracle that satisfies the taste buds like nothing else can.

Not doner meat though. I think they put stray cats in that stuff.

chefsmith
    Participant

@burkean wrote:

After a half day to watch the football and a lot of booze, I had a lamb kofte kebab at the Bosphorous in South Kensington.

AWESOME!

Proof if ever it were needed that done properly, the kebab is a culinary miracle that satisfies the taste buds like nothing else can.

Not doner meat though. I think they put stray cats in that stuff.

Completely agree, a good kebab is amazing, there is lebanese place i go to, they do some speciality ones too, one is crusty bread in a bowl, shish lamb, tomato ragu type sauce on top and raita, great !!

Another is Doner Meat, but a really good one, its not like the long mincey thingys you normally see, it’s made up of layers of very thinly sliced raw leg of lamb ( like a sheet of paper 10cm x 10cm) layered up onto the spike with green peppers and onions leaving you with a leg of lamb ‘ tower’ which is cooked like a normal doner kebab with a bug lump of lamb lardo on top to baste, they serve this in durum bread or on rice with a hazelnut and fried parsley butter.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Rack of organic lamb, home grown broccoli, Wexford-grown new spuds, beetroot with caraway seeds. Raspberries and own coffee ice cream. Really crap bottle of Siewth Ifrican Sauv B and a superb Sallusio Rosso di Montefalo 2007 di Fillipo, ringing, rounded and joyous essence of summer.

burkean
    Participant

Morcambe-bay potted shrimp and Cornish potted crab on home-made bread

Lamb chops with “Chop House Butter” (from the Mark Hix book… very good btw) and a small salad

A seriously stinky Époisses de Bourgogne with more bread

and

Home-made chocolate truffles.

Washed down (a bit too liberally for a school night) with a couple of bottles of Welsh craft cider from here

[FAT MODE ON/]

petitechef
    Participant

Beetroot from my garden, roasted with goat’s cheese 🙂

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a lasagne yesterday, with some really good mince beef ( neck i was informed) and pancetta.
    Had a few courgettes the mrs had picked in the week so i made a courgette and garlic puree in place of the bechemal, it was divine and i think i will continue to do this way.
    Served with some Radish leaf salad and black olives.

Today we made a stew from Lamb ( neck and Belly) with ‘yellow carrots’ which are carrot shaped but taste of celery when raw and swede’y’ when cooked and some new potatoes from the lake region and some home-made bread and creamy champ, proper comfort food on a rainy day.

europhile
    Participant

I like the sound of the courgette and garlic puree. Any chance of the recipe, chef?

Are the yellow carrots related to celeriac, by any chance?

chefsmith
    Participant

Hi Europhile, No recipe really, sweated a white onion with 4 cloves garlic in a bit of butter, added the (4) courgettes and touch oregano and put lid on for 3-4 mins, add some cream, salt n Fresh black pepper and simmer for few mins and i mushed mine with a masher so it was still chunky-ish and i added another 2 cloves of garlic at the end to liven it right up.

I’d be pretty sure they are related to celeriac, i’ve never seen them in Ireland, I use them in place of turnips ( as close as i’ll get over here)

europhile
    Participant

Thanks for that, chef. It sounds delicious. I’m going through a courgette phase at the moment.

scalder
    Participant

We’ve been having our own courgettes too. Herself charred them quickly on the BBQ after marinading strips with cumin and coriander seeds in the mix (R Allen or D Kemp recipe, I think?)

Yummmmmmms – great alongside proper homemade beefburgers. Save any (rare) leftovers to toss in a salad.

chefsmith
    Participant

we’re also having a courgette and aubergine phase, in fact we’ve been charring them and letting go cold and using the flesh in place of butter in sambos.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Kippers! (Loch Fyne, Scotland), first I’ve had for ages. With cold mushroom and leek risotto from the night before, home grown broccoli (again!) and a bit of sautéed spud – a real ‘eat up’ night. Half a bottle of M&S Chianti classico, very MOR, absolutely no Wow! Factor but sound gear for all that. Raspberries and my own coffee ice cream.
    Topped off with a Yemeni Mocha espresso – nice bite to it.

chefsmith
    Participant

Marinaded some pork chops, fried em up nicely with some mustard and young onion mash spicy courgette and aubergine ratatouille and some semmel dumplings.

I’m tempted to start my 3rd portion now….

A curd cheese strudel in ze oven and raspberry mousse in the fridge.

petitechef
    Participant

cauliflower cheese and roast red onions – from my own garden 🙂

punto
    Participant

Butterflied a leg of lamb and barbqued it. While it was resting a threw a huge pile of mint, rosemary and oregano on the coals and once it started smoking, I put the lamb back over it. Jesus, it was fantastic. A couple bottles of Macon Village, a salad and boiled spuds with a ridiculous amount of butter, salt and chives.

fontane77
    Participant

nice one punto….

Was down in the kingdom at the weekend with the outlaws and came back with a bootful of british queens (potatoes) that I pulled out of the ground myself. Balls of flour they are, take about 15 minutes to cook and unbelievably delicious.

Had them with some roasted lamb gigot chops with a cumin seed marinade and a red wine sauce (from the pan juices)….

chefsmith
    Participant

Beans on toast aka skinheads on a raft
    and i completely forgot how good it tastes, been years since i had it.

hutspot
    Participant

fresh corn on the cob, new season potato,lots and lots of butter,butter lettuce and cherry tomato salad all from the farmer who stands beside me on the market over here, like a kid in a sweet shop at this time of year. great eating.

petitechef
    Participant

new potato and herb Sponish Omelette with a salad of my own tomatoes 🙂

Old Tart
    Participant

Jambalaya with enough leftover to do me for lunch today.

burkean
    Participant

A storm blowing through London last night so feeling a little autumnal. Hence pan fried duck breast, braised red cabbage and duck-fat sauteed potatoes.

But far more interesting was desert – blackberry and cider jelly after a very succesful morning’s picking on Hampstead Heath.

Lisboa81
    Participant

Made such a huge batch of apple chutney (from my lovely tree out the back) that I couldn’t stomach any dinner! The horror 🙂

It’s maturing now :rolleyes:

Anonymous
    Participant

Saturday – put merguez sausages I got from the Hicks stall in Temple Bar market on the bar-b-q. Can you call them merguez if the ingredients include pork?

Sunday brunch – sally barnes kippers with poached duck eggs

Dinner – rabbit with mustard, broad beans and mushrooms, recipe out of the Patricia Wells/Joel Robuchon book. Should eat more rabbit but don’t, mores the pity when it comes out right like it yesterday. Very tasty and washed down with the recommended acoompaniment “a sturdy red, such as Santenay” – I wouldn’t regard the fine wine of Santenay as particularly sturdy but maybe it is for Ms Wells or M Robuchon.

burkean
    Participant

Went down to Borouugh late on Saturday evening in search of some bargains. Got a pack of very tasty pigeon breasts for only 3quid, two packs of sausages from Silfield Farm, also for 3quid.

But best of all… I got a whopper of a lobster for only £9!!!! from the Furness fish stall.

Awesome. Grilled with garlic butter.

Only issue was that I didn’t have a lobster cracker so Ms. Burkean and I had some interesting times utilising the pliers on my Leatherman at the dinner table.

fontane77
    Participant

Home made sushi

both nigiiri and maki sushi – tuna/prawn and california rolls. Making the rolls is a cinch once you have the rolling mat (€1.50).

Once you get the ingredients, its all pretty simple – Asia Market on Drury street has a full aisle of japanese products and they’re not expensive.

alex
    Participant

stuck for ideas? try this

chefsmith
    Participant

Back in the childhood fast food days, mum often gave us toasted fish finger sambo’s with salad cream, they were proper mingin, but id love one now for nostalgia.

petitechef
    Participant

I’d murder a (Bird’s Eye) fish finger but can I have tartare sauce instead of salad cream please?

chefsmith
    Participant

It was far from tartare sauce i was raised 🙂

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Came home after biopsy at James’s. Made steak and kidney pie. Onions, carrots, celery, portobello mushrooms, steak, kidney, red wine, herbs, cooked in very slow cooker (about which more anon) for 6 hours then ovened with short pastry crust on top.

Fig ice cream and home made lavender biscuits.

Bottle of Puglian Primitivo, Punta Aquila (O’Briens) and a quantity of Calvados to follow (with a double espresso).
    Something to be said for being on your own!

europhile
    Participant

That sounds like my kind of evening in.

Anonymous
    Participant

Kipper, orange and carrot salad!

I can only manage a cooked breakfast at the weekend and I had some of Sally Barnes finest kippers with a best before date that was not going to make next weekend. Burkean’s visit to River Cottage on the other thread got me thinking so I opened up the River Cottage Fish book and found the recipe for kippers, orange and carrot salad. Sounded weird but it works.

I’m a big fan of the RC Meat book and I tend to forget how good the Fish book is as well.

Hanna
    Participant

Slow roasted belly of pork, with “proper” gravy, roasted veg, garlic and rosemary potatoes and steamed purple sprouting broccoli.

I can’t believe that three hours of cooking would be eliminated in 8 minutes of eating. Still, it was totally worth it.

bigjoe
    Participant

got 2 x dine in for 2 for €12.50 in M&S.

still excellent quality and fantastic value. went for 2(different chicken dishes) 1 x potatoes cubes with rosemary and a mix veg bag. 1 x chocolate cheese cake and a punnet of strawberries and 2 x white wines.

was bloody well lovely so it was.

(fed 4 of us well)

Anonymous
    Participant

Jugged Hare with mash potato and some buttered cabbage

Followed the HFW recipe again but slow cooked it in the oven and it seemed to come out better than the last effort cooked on top, meat just falling off the bones right. Bit of chocolate added with the blood to finish the sauce. Very nice.

I had the hare in my freezer since last season courtesy of my french brother in law who comes over to shoot every year and at this stage he knows all my mother’s farming relations in Cork that I’m only vaguely familiar with. He’ll be back at the end of the month so I need to clear the space in the freezer

New recipes suggestions for wood pigeons always welcome

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Hake gougons, in tempura-light batter; baked courgettes with cumin and fresh oregano; ‘Inverness’ carrots (there’s a recipe on the site somewhere); fluffy roast spuds (Queens – too early for GWs)
    Day before was at Greenacres in Wexford where I had confit duck and the best chips I’ve had in oodles of years.

chefsmith
    Participant

Fancied chilli con carne ( didn’t have it in years ) so got all the stuff, as I was leaving I saw veal shins and cheeks in a big 2-3kg pack for 4 bucks, so I dumped the minced beef and slow cooked chilli con vealy. Some lovely rice with fried onions and parsley.
    Gonna have leftovers for lunch Tom

Hanna
    Participant

Nice! I’ve made Chilli Con Venison-y. It didn’t work all that well…..

Melendez
    Participant

I’m having Chilli Con Carne tonight. No veal, just beef mince. It’s the frozen leftovers of one I made a couple of weeks ago. Just need to add a handful of chopped coriander, a squeeze of lime and some greek yogurt to blob on the top and I’m away.

chefsmith
    Participant

To be honest, I wish I’d kept the mince for the CCC and used the veal for something else,
    It felt more of a goulash that CCC.
    Still nice but didn’t fill my CCC craving.

Just popped a ‘wild’ chicken into oven, got it at the Market this morning from the game guy, he said it’s wild, looks tough and dark, I’ll let you know how it works out.
    One of the farmers had his swedes and potatoes there, got couple kilos of each for the chicken.

EDIT
    The chicken was, in my opinion nothing spectacular, but Bruno and my Mrs thought it was fantastic, it was definitely better than a farmed chicken but i’m not a big chicken lover anyway to be honest.

petitechef
    Participant

Cheese on toast topped with creamed leeks – nyom! :p

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Curries. Chicken madras (sans cumin) and aubergine/mushroom. Boiled rice and chuppatis cooked in pizza oven. Home made green tomato chutney as per recipe on the site. Had to make curries entirely from scratch as I found, with an hour to go that I’d suddenly come to the end of a rake of paste samples.

chefsmith
    Participant

Got a goujon craving after reading soneones post last week,
    Got some lovely cod, was gonna batter but realised only had a tiny bit of oil in the gaff, so I panko’d them and shallow fried, marinated some shallot slices and some over ripe cherry toms in Chardonnay vinegar for 10 mins, added mustard n Croatian olive oil and tiniest dash of maple syrup and tossed lettuce in the mix, lemon Mayo and crusty baguette, tWas heavenly.

petitechef
    Participant

piperonata & leek lasagne :p

unclepat
    Participant

Very nice meal at the new Kinara in Ranelagh. The lighting is a bit wierd and feels a little like eating in a night club but once you get past that, the food is excellent. It was jammers too while most others in Ranelagh appeared quiet so it seems to be growing legs.

Prime Cut
    Participant

Made a tarte tatin yesterday, with windfall small sweet apples from my neighbour’s garden and homemade flaky pastry, really delicious, we managed to demolish most of it between two!! We havled and threw in a couple of figs that were getting overripe and they worked really well with the apples.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Sister in law’s homecoming so big leg of lamb, sauce Soubise; roasted butternut squash, savoy cabbage, baked tatties. My coffee ice cream, apple sorbet with blueberries, raspberries, Cox apple. Big hunk of Mount Callan cheddar with Bath Olivers and Stocken oatcakes.
    No need to eat for three days, or at least until tonight.

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a shortcrust pastry lamb shoulder pie, got the lamb from this dodgy Muslim feller who sells it from a derelict shop once or twice a week, lamb is simply stunning.
    Braised it in some stock I pilfered from work, for about 4 hours and added turnips.
    Baked the pie , made some mash and pea purée.

Really really enjoyed it.

markh
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

Braised it in some stock I pilfered from work.

Really really enjoyed it.

Hope the boss doesn’t see this, it might be the last one you enjoy !! 😀

punto
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

got the lamb from this dodgy Muslim feller who sells it from a derelict shop once or twice a week,

Thats one of the funniest things i’ve ever read

petitechef
    Participant

the most divine,calorific leek, smoked salmon & potato gratin 😀 I produce too much food in this house for just me!

bigjoe
    Participant

NL had this on her show last week,

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

tried it last night. was divine.

petite gourmand
    Participant

Clearing out kitchen cupboard – found lots of little tins/ packets etc picked up on holidays : decided to make a beef wellington without parma ham….

Use dried porcini mushrooms + a small tin of foie gras puree (i think I bought it by mistake and didnt know what to do with it!) to make a duxelles of flat+button mushrooms ; porcini soaking water used in the red wine gravy….

Nice lean middle fillet of beef, seared/cooled then brushed with Armagnac (also a holiday bottle!) Foie gras puree gave duxelle a lovely sticky texture – oh the smell escaping through the puff pastry during cooking….

Beef was medium rare – served with dauphinois (without cheese), baby potatoes and mixed veg. 2 happy men .

chefsmith
    Participant

That sounds amazing PG!

Had some people for dinner yesterday, they new to Vienna and lonely so the wife invited them,
    Done slow confit goose leg and a beef brisket roast, was really good.
    The guests turned out to be plonkers though.

markh
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

The guests turned out to be plonkers though.

but frequent lurkers on F’nC lol !

shortcircuit
    Participant

@bigjoe wrote:

NL had this on her show last week,

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

tried it last night. was divine.

oooh I saw that the other week, it looked lovely. I have her massive book so would be a good excuse to try something out of it

fontane77
    Participant

had a shocker of a indian from the bombay pantry(fairview). Not my first time it being muck either. Biryani was wet and served with raita. vegetables were massacred within. I had their diwali special – lamb meatballs, three miserably meatballs served in a spicy tomato sauce. tragically dry, flavourless and utterly useless.

When you walk in there past the bags of fenugreek leaves and cardomom you think you’re in for something tasty. But I’m convinced they are there solely for effect and the sauces are probably brought in, in vats.

never again (and I told myself that the last time). uggghhh

Melendez
    Participant

I got a bombay pantry takeaway on the cheapskate pigsback discount cards last week, from Clonskeagh. I have to say it was a very different experience. No complaints about any of the dishes we got, apart from getting a curry “hot” after I’d asked for it “hot”, but wasn’t really expecting it to be that hot. The last time I’d got medium and found it a bit tame. I regretted the decision to ask for “hot” both whilst eating and the following morning. They have an open kitchen and seem to make a lot of the stuff relatively fresh.

They even allowed me, nay encouraged me, to split the order in 2 and use 2 vouchers as the order was over double the voucher value.

I’m a regular enough customer there and have put in a couple of biggish orders to feed twenty or so. Happy the first time, not quite so happy the next (nothing wrong, just have had better) and had abandoned them for a few months after that. The Pigsback offer was enough to entice me back into the fold and they didn’t disappoint. I have had one or two less than entirely satisfactory meals from them but generally I find them better than any other Indian Takeaway that delivers to my house or are easily accessible.

Anonymous
    Participant

I used to go to the one in Rathborne a fair bit but stopped.

I would very often have ordered lamb dishes and the lamb was almost always tough and chewy. I mentioned this once but to no avail.

Frozen vegetables are used in a lot of the dishes. No thanks.

Won’t be going back unless there is a vast improvement.

Anonymous
    Participant

Had a non-great Bombay Pantry from Rathmines last week – sauce was alright but the amount of chicken in it was fairly pathetic for the price. That said after 6 months in SIngapore working out of Little India the Dublin takewaways have a lot to live up to…

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Chicken involtini with a white wine, shallot and sage jus; sautée potatoes, baked zucchini

chefsmith
    Participant

Had friends over for lunch yesterday, done it buffet style

A tomato and pecorino Risotto ( i found by chance a couple kilos of amazingly ripe delicious tomatoes in the veg market) It was probably the best risotto ive made and it was with a very cheap brand of carnaroli rice.
    Pork chops in a mushroom, gherkin and mustard cream sauce
    Tiger Prawns in a red thai curry style sauce
    Braised beef with rice
    with some salads and baked breads it was a really enjoyable feed to be honest.

After a week now of purely home-made foods at home or friends houses im feeling great, but i am looking forward to a big dirty takeaway tonight 🙂

on 26th i went to a friends house and spent the day cooking with a bone fide Austrian mama who taught me a few things, really enjoyed what we made, schweinbraten ( roast pork with caraway) Bread Dumplings and an apple saurkraut with a few other bits n bobs.

petitechef
    Participant

after all the excesses of last few days I was craving vegetables – so I’ve just had a yummy thai vegetable curry 🙂
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Roast Muscovy duck, roasted Golden Wonders, roast fennel/pepper/parsnips/carrots, beetroot with caraway seeds and balsamic vinegar. Rhubarb tart, home made ice cream

Zibibbo
    Participant

I did Ernie’s “Lidl €4.99 Lobster” & Leek Risotto except when I had everything ready to go and started to add the stock, I realised that I had forgotten to prep the leek. I decided to forget the leek and think laterally so in the end it became a Lobster and Birds Eye Frozen Petit Pois Risotto. It was delish!

I made a couple of tweeks to the Ernie recipe – I didn’t use Oregano and instead added Star Anise and Tarragon and a splash of Brandy.

I have very rarely eaten Lobster because of the whole ceremony and pallaver around them and the “per kg” pricing meaning that I was always afraid that after I picked a nice specimen that it might turn out to be ferociously expensive. This Lidl €4.99 Lobster has opened new horizons for me. I’ve another couple in the freezer so Ernie have you any more lobster suggestions?

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Your wish is my command.

Recipe here for Lobster Pirogue – a wee bit more complicated than the risotto but if you can make a bechamel you can make this.
    Go easy on the hot stuff unless you and your guests can handle it.

RECIPE: LOBSTER PIROGUE

Hanna
    Participant

Thanks Ernie! Those lobster recipes are great!

Last night:

Rib eye steak, with spiced chick pea and spinach salad. And two spicy potato wedges…….. ;o)

petitechef
    Participant

Looking forward to trying lobster recipes too!
    Tonight was calorie laden potato, leek & smoked salmon gratin – nyom!!

markh
    Participant

Tonight was a Lidl boneless leg of venison (bought frozen), not bad at all but I followed the instructions, stuck a meat thermometer in 15 mins before the recommended 70 minutes and found it was already over 65 deg C, I had planned to take it out below 60 degrees and let it creep up of its own accord as I wanted it rare, it ended up more medium but still very good. Fabulous gravy from the roasting juices, I roasted it in some wine, stock, a diced onion and garlic. Also used my new potato ricer for the first time for some great creamy mash, still need to sort out the mechanics of saucepans, dishes, etc for that one !

Thanks for the lobster recipes Ernie, I tried one a while ago and thought it marginal whether the hassle was worth the result ! I’ll definitely be giving it another go now, the risotto looks great.

Hanna
    Participant

I feel a trip to lidl coming on!

Last night: Lamb and coriander pie with spiced potato topping.

WillersC
    Participant

Using up scraps from the fridge last night as I’m heading away for the weekend.

I came up with a smoked salmon carbonara. I know the purists will claim that this is a waste of good salmon, but the salmon was going in the bin if it didn’t get used and the end result was delicious.

chefsmith
    Participant

The lies ( for the Diet thread) umm a big bowl of green salad with a dash of lemon juice and a poached egg.

The truth = Foie gras ballontine with a duck jelly and merlot mascerated raisins with loadsa crusty ciabatta and 1/2 bottle of Grüner Veltliner, followed by Calamari and Prawns and the other 1/2 of the bottle of Grüner Veltliner.

and a creme brulee

Melendez
    Participant

Made a rare special visit to Lidl to get a couple of Lobsters to make the risotto but they were all gone and I was told are very infrequently about. I gota 2 x kilo packs of frozen Scottish Scampi instead which cost twice the price and probably will yield less meat. I have it in my mind to make the risotto and I can’t imagine the recipe will need any tweaking using them. I also picked up two frozen barbary ducks for a tenner each which would be a bargain if freezing doesn’t wreck them.

I was very impressed by the standard of fruit and veg, streets ahead of SQ or Tesco. I’m a little suspicious of getting fresh or frozen meat there (including my frozen ducks) though have absolutely no basis for this – it could be as good as SQ for all I know. If I could allay these fears I’d happily shop there regularly.

markh
    Participant

They had the Scottish scampi on their Sunday special last weekend for half price (i.e. €5 instead of 10) so there’s a pack in my freezer now, I’ll be interested to hear what you think of them.

Melendez
    Participant

They’ll taste like poison to me now I know I missed them at half price.
    I’m an irregular weekend cook so it might be a while before they get an airing. I’m also not a very good cook, so a negative opinion might not actually be the poor crustacean’s fault.

Hanna
    Participant

The lobster is good value, but in my experience there is very little meat on them – 1 each would only barely be enough. The duck is excellent though – enormous, tasty duck breasts, large juicy ducklings. Can’t fault them at all.

shortcircuit
    Participant

I had a recipe from the lates F&W magazine: Penne with sausage, red wine and rosemary. You brown some sausage meat, add onion, garlic, rosemary, bubble off some red wine and throw in a tin of tomatoes and simmer for a while.

Absolutely delicious- I never twigged red wine and rosemary were so good together!

Anonymous
    Participant

Saucisse de morteau that my sister brought home with her at Christmas – its a really nice traditional smoked pork sausage from the Jura/Franche-Comte region. In deference to the FnC Diet thread I didn’t have it with the traditional accompaniement of a few spuds with the contents of a Mont d’Or box that has been roasted in the oven then poured over the plate of sausage and potatoes. Just a bit of mustard and some roasted winter veg. On a smaller plate.

Hanna
    Participant

Last night: some M&S special reserve extra aged rubbed by virgins fillet steak, with bean, chorizo and rocket salad.

markh
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

They’ll taste like poison to me now I know I missed them at half price.

Oops, sorry !

Melendez
    Participant

I made my scampi risotto last night. Finally I have put to bed the thought that a risotto should be one of my favourite things. Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the recipe (I might leave the lime zest out- it’s so rich you might as well leave it like that without the token effort of cutting it with the lime), and for once, I am convinced I cooked it to perfection. I’d even go as far as to say it tasted gorgeous, it’s just after a few forkfulls you wanted to move on to something else. It’s the first time I’ve made the stock from scratch from the heads, shells and bits per recipe, and that worked out as a wonderful rich stock. If I was making it again, and I probably will, I’d leave the prawns themselves out of the risotto altogether (use them as a starter), and serve a couple of dessertspoons of the risotto as the carb for a simple bit of grilled sole or brill with a few stalks of asparagus.

The Lidl Scottish Scampi themselves were fine. Although they only yielded barely over 200g of actual prawn meat for a 1kg pack, they certainly survived the freezing ok, which I was a little dubious about.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Roasted bacon in a piece from the wonderful Pat O’Neill of Enniscorthy. Rub down with 5 spice, 6 cloves stuck in the fat. 2 glasses of 3-day old plonk in the Le Creuset dish. Half an hour at 220C then top pasted with honey then another half hour, ten minute rest.
    Butternut squash puree and savoy cabbage. Baked spud… but not for me alas (diet)

fontane77
    Participant

rainbow trout with a beurre blanc….

forgotten how good trout can be. Deliciously simply…..

Prime Cut
    Participant

Well I haven’t actually had it yet but I made my first batch of marmalade this year, dead simple recipe where you mince the squeezed fruit rather than doing all the peeling and chopping, then put the minced friut, juice and water in a really slow oven overnight then next day add sugar and reserved pips and boil. Seville oranges should be around for another few weeks.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Roast duck, a Barbary, not my favourite breed as you can never seem to get that desirable combo of soft, succulent flesh and crisp skin that’s so easy with a Gressingham, Aylesbury or Muscovy. Not sure why, it makes enough fat.
    Herself requested an orange sauce, which I made but I couldn’t resist dickying it up with cognac and loads of chilli and ginger. As a final touch I chopped some preserved stem ginger and chucked it in at the last minute, which everyone seemed to like.
    Served it with lightly curried butternut squash and aubergines, my old trademark ‘Inverness’ carrots (finished with butter, whisky, fresh tarragon) and sauté spuds (Orla this time), another success for the Actifry.

Man O’ War – see wine pages – make decent Chardonnay too and we finished with Irish and Italian cheeses and a bottle of the Nicolas Catena/Rothschild ‘Caro’ 2004 for good measure.

So much for the bloody diet!

chefsmith
    Participant

I find the Barbary legs the best for confiting though, find they are stickier and juicier than the rest.
    But the breasts never relax right, they just never seem to re absorb the juices as well.

Melendez
    Participant

Inspired by seeing Nigel Slater doing it on the tele twice in a couple of weeks. I had Feta cheese with chilli, scallion and thyme. As per his recipe, I softened 3 mildish chillis, 3 scallions and leaves from about 3 or 4 thyme stalks in olive oil, then added the Feta block until starting to soften and put the lot on sourdough bread. The thyme was lovely when you got a taste of it, would put far more in next time, I’d probably double up on the scallions as well. Lovely little tea for one, requiring about 5 mins effort.

fontane77
    Participant

made sushi for the lads for the ireland v france game.

It really is so simple once you have the ingredients and is very cheap. I made sushi for six and it cost about €20.

Anonymous
    Participant

Made rabbit rillettes on Wednesday night and game pie (well the meat filling bit) on Thursday for dinner on Saturday night – hare, pheasant and pigeon provided by my brother in law and some venison from Downeys in Terenure. Made game soup from the River Cottage Meat Book as well with the various bones and carcasses.

Some thing of a gender divide on the choice for starters and the boys all tried the rillettes and the girls all took the soup. No complaints form the gents. Rabbit can be a bit tricky to cook as it can dry out if you’re not careful but the rillettes are very easy and tasty too. Rabbit, goose fat , bit of pancetta, herbsa and spices et voila. Game pie was good for the extra day or so in the fridge. Used some dired mushrooms and added the liquid and it all seemed to help.

Vegetarian option – spanish chick pea casserole from the cornucopia cook book. I had to resist the temptation to add some chorizo.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Roast pork loin stuffed with sage and porcini
    sauce with onions, garlic, tomatoes, red wine, herbs
    brussels sprouts and chestnuts
    sauté potatoes

home made vanilla ice cream with roasted hazelnuts and chopped preserved ginger – the syrup from the jar helped make a nice sauce for the ice cream

Anonymous
    Participant

Snap! I forgot to say I made homemade vanilla ice cream too. Its the only ice cream I ever make. At what stage in the process do you add the nuts and ginger, Ernie?

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

I normally just sprinkle them over the ice cream when I serve and pour a little out of the syrup out of the ginger jar over the top. Makes a wonderful ‘cheat’ dessert.
    Sometimes I roast a big batch of hazelnuts or almonds, (or a mix of the two + pistachios), rub the skins off them in a tea towel and store the nuts in small pots topped up with runny honey – keeps for ages and makes a nice little gift too.
    I love the bite of the ginger with the ice cream.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Made lovely stuffed peppers with porcini, cherry tomatoes, oregano and Dick Willemse’s fabulous two-year matured Coolea. I’ve done this dish a lot, but these were the best ever.
    Only thing that marred the meal was some terrible sirloin steak – no flavour and tough as old boots.

chefsmith
    Participant

Done a Veal cheek and white bean casserole with some old mushrooms that had been knocking around the fridge for a week
    ( nicely greyed up) carrots and red onions, ever so slightly thickened with a bit of flour.

Couple of jacket shpuds and softened more leeks in olive oil and white wine and white balsamic vinegar, finished with some chervil.

Was divine, cheeks butter tender, beans had a touch of bite and the vinegared leeks lifted the dish.

Finished with home-made bread and butter pudding with loads of cimmamon.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

WELCOME BACK TO DUBLIN DINNER FOR DAUGHTER 1

Last two of the Lidl fiver lobsters. Slightly modified version of the risotto recipe with cognac instead of wine and saffron replacing oregano. Still bloody good, even though I forgot to chuck the lime zest in at the end.
    Vietnamese green mango salad
    Nice cheeseboard with Bellingham Blue, Milleens, 24-month Coolea and Glebe Brehan, Ditty’s oat biscuits and quince
    Followed at a lengthy interval by wattleseed ice cream and fresh pears
    Espresso 80% Brazil Fazenda Cachoira (sp?) 20% Sumatra.
    Tim Adams Semillon 2008/ Chateau Canon-la-Gaffelière 2005/Redbreast 12

Zibibbo
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

Last two of the Lidl fiver lobsters. Slightly modified version of the risotto recipe with cognac instead of wine and saffron replacing oregano. Still bloody good, even though I forgot to chuck the lime zest in at the end.
    Vietnamese green mango salad
    Nice cheeseboard with Bellingham Blue, Milleens, 24-month Coolea and Glebe Brehan, Ditty’s oat biscuits and quince
    Followed at a lengthy interval by wattleseed ice cream and fresh pears
    Espresso 80% Brazil Fazenda Cachoira (sp?) 20% Sumatra.
    Tim Adams Semillon 2008/ Chateau Canon-la-Gaffelière 2005/Redbreast 12

On a Tuesday night? Bloody hell! What do you need to do to get an invite to dinner at your gaff?

I got to share a bottle of Chateau Canon-la-Gaffelière 1937 a couple of years back. Incredibly it was still alive with nice acidity but withering fruit and it faded quickly in the glass. But to think that Hitler was eyeing up Sudetenland and the Spanish Civil War was still in full swing when those grapes were on the vine (and my dad was just out of nappies or whatever passed for nappies back then)…

WillersC
    Participant

An (American) Italian feast this evening.

Braciola (Pork Shoulder steaks stuffed with provalone, parmesan, parsley & garlic), & Meatballs (lean beef, egg, raisins, pine nuts, parmesan & breadcrumbs) with a spicy tomato sauce and farfalle. Simply delicious, and enough leftovers to last the week.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Pat O’Neill’s incredible dry cured bacon – a joint, with parsnips, sauté spuds, peas and parsley sauce. Comfort food after a shit day.

sireatsalot
    Participant

5 spiced butternut sqash soup

balintine of chicken with a boudin blanc, smk lardon, thyme, garlic, parsley and breadcrumb stuffing
    with crushed carrot and parsnip , boiled spuds jus made from the roasting tray

individual banoffi made in little amuse bouche containers that i had over from xmas

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

About to smoke 2 free range chickens over Lapsang Souchong tea and oranges.
    Just discovered bezzy buddy has given up drink for Lent so might just open a decent bottle of red and drink it myself!

chefsmith
    Participant

Brought a small whole norwegian cod, fried it up in fillets, touch of lime juice and coriander at the end.
    Served it with some sautee baby potatoes tossed in chunks of raw garlic and flat parsley, and a courgette, pancetta and pea fricasee.

The cod itself was a huge let down, Atlantic cod has so much more flavour, was depressing as i know this would be the best cod i could ever hope to get here ………

Melendez
    Participant

I got a few “Relish The Idea” curry pastes to try out.

Lamb Balti curry (seves 6-8)

2 jars Balti paste
    1kg diced lamb shoulder (somewhat trimmed)
    1 good teaspoon chili flakes (turned out mild-medium heat)
    2 big onions
    2 big carrots
    4 garlic cloves
    2 peppers
    2 cans coconut milk
    1 can tomato
    1 can chickpeas
    about 12 dried apricots (just threw in as they were there – helped the dish)

Do pretty much what you’d expect to all the ingredients in terms of frying off and adding – simmer slowly for about 2 hours. Left overnight and reheated + simmered for another hour next day. Very impressed with the result and no more difficult than using a Pataks or sharwoods pourover jar. In fact as nice as any I’ve made from scratch making my own paste.

I’d add a good handful of chopped coriander next time, others wouldn’t.

Thumbs up for Relish The Idea Balti Paste.

chefsmith
    Participant

Im gonna try that recipe this sunday melendez, im having a ‘come help decorate my house curry lunch’.

Got some guinea fowl yesterday, confit’d the legs, turned the bones into a stock which i finished with a drop of brandy, cream and thyme, seared the breast, and served with some Champ, Green asparagus with hollandaisse and some shredded wild garlic.

Made a Strawberry daquairi Cheesecake for dessert.

I slept smiling last night

Melendez
    Participant

Moved onto the “Sambal Oelek” paste from Relish The Idea.

Serves 4

2 Packets of ready cooked egg noodles (M&S)
    Packet of stir fry veg (M&S)
    3 big (happy) chicken breast pieces (pre fried) – would work as nicely as a vegetable (not vegetarian) dish without the chicken
    1 Spanish Onion chopped into big lumps
    2 Jars of Sambal Oelek paste

Stir fried onions in a wok followed by paste followed by veg followed by already fried chicken pieces – added noodles that were heated in microwave. Stirred it all in.

This was very hot. If you don’t like it hot don’t make it, it would be too dry if you use less paste and no point to it really. It was quick relief hot as opposed to cumulative hot. Some curries creep up on you that you think they’re ok, when suddenly you’re on fire and there’s no saving you. This just gives you a satisfying reminder that it’s hot and the heat disappears on time for the next mouthful. Better than any takeaway with no effort required.

I’ve taken full advantage of the BOGOF for these pastes in SQ and now have a shelf full of them.

chefsmith
    Participant

Made a Curry on Sunday,
    Fried some Onions, Coriander seeds whole, garlic, peppers and chestnut mushrooms added the balti paste and fried for couple more minutes, added glass of white wine, tin of tomatoes, bit of cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins and braised for an hour before adding coconut milk and bit of white wine vinegar, adding prawns in for the last 3/4 minutes.

It was a bit of a hodge podge of a curry, but it was really good and everyone enjoyed it.

If anyone else has a load of D.I.Y to do i can highly recommend inviting a few guys around who are handy with a toolbox, cooking a curry and everyone pitching in with the work, i would have paid a handyman a good few hundred quid, it cost a pot of curry, a case of beer and everyone was happy to help out and know that i’d return the favour when they need stuff done.

Melendez
    Participant

You don’t have an idiot-proof pilau rice recipe?

burkean
    Participant

Slightly cheating insofar as I didn’t cook it, but I’d a picnic in Hyde Park y’day where we’d a delicious selection of salads from the Belgravia branch of Ottolenghi. Pricey… but worth on a gloriously sunny day.

Had Moro’s morcilla, apple and cider salad for dinner. Bloody marvellous.

chefsmith
    Participant

@melendez wrote:

You don’t have an idiot-proof pilau rice recipe?

Nope, this idiot messed up the rice, too sticky, ill soak it a bit longer next time, oh and i put caraway seeds in by mistake in stead of cumin 🙁

Found this for next time though, annoying voice but seems pretty idiot proof.

How To Make Pilau Rice

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

At sis in law’s. Lovely risotto with some Thai/Vietnamese flavourings, baby spinach and jumbo prawns. A bottle of very decent Rossi di Montalcino from Lidl, soft and approachable.

chefsmith
    Participant

Brought some Irish lamb over here from an Artisan shop, WOW, I nearly forgot how good Irish lamb is. But at 34 a kg they’d want to be really !

Got two racks, they were a bit too trimmed of the fat for my liking, but seared, bit of garlic, thyme and pork fat layed on top, and baked for 5-7 mins and left to rest for a good 10 minutes, they were a joy to eat.

Simply with a Black Olive and Lime dressed salad and some Bio baby potatoes and Crusty Bread.

Followed up with the seasons first few berries, ( strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) mascerated in sugar, brandy and a touch of strawberry compote, served simply with some sweetened mascarpone cream.

p.s, the weather has been so good here, the strawberry plant in our window has produced 5-6 strawberries over the week !
    I wish i planted couple more of them now.

Anonymous
    Participant

Incredible! Thank you so much for this valuable content on http://www.forkncork.com! I permanently wanted to write on my web-site something like that. Can I include a fragment of your content to my blog? gbg mlm

markh
    Participant

Well done CS, you’ve obviously made an impression there….

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

A variation on David Thompson’s prawn and asparagus recipe (the addition of loads of fresh ginger) from Thai Street food – wih an exquisite 1991 Trimbach reserve Personelle Pinot Gris.

fontane77
    Participant

pasta bake with hicks bacon, chestnut mushrooms, cream and lashings of parmesan

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Pan fried monkfish and scallops with a tomato/wine/basil sauce, home made tagliatelle and roasted mixed vegetables

petitechef
    Participant

new potato & coleslaw!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Medallions of pork with mushroom, lovage and chive sauce. Sauté potatoes. Fried courgettes with lime and ginger.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Home smoked rack of pork; courgettes with spinach, lime and ginger, bbq aubergines, home made tomato & chili sauce, pasta nests. Affogato to folow – home made vanilla ice cream + Mandorla + espresso ( 35% Brazilian/ 60% Sumatra) + toasted almonds.

fontane77
    Participant

tomato and basil sausages with carmelised onions, mash and graaaaaaaavy.

yum

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Smoked pork done in the newly re-vamped pizza oven, green salad and Dennis Cotter’s beetroot

Melendez
    Participant

I had big fecker 600g T-Bones steaks (from Dunnes, Donnybrook) with a herby red wine/stock reduction, homemade potato wedges and absolutely no other vegetables, washed down with a couple of bottles of Barolo. Stuffed, pissed and satisfied.

chefsmith
    Participant

Its roasting hot here at the mo,
    so made a green gazpacho today with, green peppers, green tomatoes, leeks, Q’s , chicken stock, olive oil, WW vinegar, few bits of old bread and finished with some basil and coriander.

T’was savage and refreshing

kren
    Participant

Pork medallions, rice (absorption method, flavoured with curry, raisins and almond slices) and carrots (onion sweated in butter, carrots sliced, Thyme, add a tiny bit of vegetable stock and let simmer).

kren
    Participant

Venison season has started again – enjoyed it twice already…
    strips of steak in a sauce of wild mushrooms and sour cream with “Spaetzle” and a tossed salad.

chefsmith
    Participant

Had venison myself tonight, not exactly sure which cut, was described as a knuckle at the top of tail, was truly amazing, served simply with some buttery mash, swede puree and a whiskey Sauce.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Didn’t have sausages after 2 days spent judging Craft Butchers ‘Sausage OTY’
    Did have nice breakfast with baked eggs over sobrasada, black pudding, figs and sauté potatoes with slices of LW’s giant puffball.

kren
    Participant

Szegediner Gulasch –
    Hungarian Dish made of lean pork pieces (preferably shoulder) and prepared like a beef Gulasch (ie onions, paprika, add water or stock – in with meat) after about 45 mins add Sauerkraut and simmer for another 45 mins – finish by adding sour cream mixed with a bit of flour. Serve with boiled potatoes. Yum.

chefsmith
    Participant

We made a Ox shin stew with celeriac, barley and lashings of ale, served with fresh crusty bread out of the oven, was great after a hard day demolishing a bar were working on.

So simple but oh so good.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Turkey and ham, stilton and Bath Olivers/Stockens oatcakes again. Ringing the changes with the spuds though.

Old Tart
    Participant

Roast salmon, cous cous with garlic, red chilli, onion, flat leaf parsley and pomegranate seeds. Light and refreshing after the excesses of the previous days.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Martini Ernesto – my recent invention, 6-1 Plymouth Gin – Noilly Prat dry vermouth – generous squeeze of lime juice – 3 ice cubes, shaken and poured as soon as cold. Served with twist of lime and (sometimes) one green olive.
    Steaks – unashamedly Aldi’s excellent rib-eye. With chips, caramellised onions and a Vietnamese green mango salad. Bottle of Pouilly Fuisse (madame’s idea of a detox!)
    Afterwards my own vanilla ice cream with Creme de Methe
    Stilton, Silke Croppe’s wonderful Corleggy and biscuits
    My favourite El Salavador La Illusion coffee
    Bijou dropette of Redbreast
    Good movie on telly
    Life is Sweet

dallen
    Participant

Gave two fingers to the january blues.
    Start: King scallop, kohlrabi puree, pickled chanterelles, spring onion, hijiki seaweed and dashi
    Main: 7 hour leg of west cork lamb, potato puree, caramelised carrot and sprouting broccoli
    Dessert: Lemon tart

Vin:
    Anjou (Domaine des Grandes Vignes, Varenne de Combre, 1999)
    Madarin (Domaine Labranche Laffont, Vieilles Vignes, 2008)

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Bacon ribs, salt rinsed off then cooked in vegetable stock and red wine, with savoy cabbage and butter beans added for last five minutes. Washed down with half a bottle of Valdespino ‘Inocente’ Fino sherry, delicious. Why more people don’t drink fino and manzanilla with food is simply quite beyond me.

petitechef
    Participant

I’m determined to use up leftovers so I’ve just had omelette with potatoes, roast veg and the tiny bit of stuffed pork steak left over from Tuesday’s dinner. Not bad

fontane77
    Participant

reheated chili con carne and rice. those cheap canned kidney beans from tesco are muck, they’re still hard after an hour in the pot.

markh
    Participant

French onion soup and daube de boeuf in Alexis, part of their French classic bistro week 🙂

fontane77
    Participant

Pizza! Its become a staple. I use Ernies recipe on the site for the dough. I find it hard work to make, but its delicious.

For a tomato based sauce, I use one of two options – buy a can of pizza sauce from little italy in Smithfield or the margarita pizza sauce from M & S. For some reason its the only canned sauce I buy….works though.

Picked up some proper pepperoni in the US recently (anyone know where to source decent pepperoni in ireland?) and used kabanos (polish sausage) for, well, sausage. This alongside the staples of mozzarella (both fresh and avonmore variety), roasted peppers and mushrooms.

I use two pizza baking trays which do work. not perfect, but pretty damn good. My gas oven gets hot, so I get a nice crisp pizza.

Prime Cut
    Participant

Fresh black sole simply dusted in flour and fried in clarified butter. I got the fish from East Coast fish shop in Naas who buy their fish from Wexford day boats, it is just brilliant to be able to get good fish that isn’t all watery from being on ice for days.

Great to have the forum up rocking again Ernie!

markh
    Participant

Just about to have pizzetta bianca a la Russell Norman’s Polpo …. just enjoying a small snifter while waiting for the dough to rise a little more 🙂

fontane77
    Participant

Took yesterdays pizza dough and made pan pizza, well pizza in the frying pan finished under the grill. It was great and actually worked….took 5 minutes.

shortcircuit
    Participant

Had this Nigella Lawson recipe for meatballs last night but used pork instead of turkey. Was pretty nice with a couple of quibbles

Why oh why does she insist on adding the two cans of water though? I only added the one and it was still waaay too watery?

And the recipe doesn’t call for any seasoning of the meatballs bar some parmesan. I said “f**k that and added salt and pepper- and even at that it could have done with more.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/turkey-meatballs-in-tomato-sauce-recipe/index.html

Anonymous
    Participant

Braised rabbit with mustard from Raymond Blanc’s The Very Hungry Frenchman – He did it for the dinner in the first episode in his native Franche-Comte. I got the recipe from his website.

Unlike Raymond on the telly, I didn’t use Vin Jaune from the Jura at €30s a go, just some gewurtz and it worked pretty well. I find rabbit can dry out if you’re not careful but his browning on top first and then putting in a lowish oven worked out perfect – just coming off the bone as per the recipe.

I’m always on the look out for game recipes, my b-in-law will be visiting (from Franche-Comte funnily enough) and fill the freezer for me – rillettes were the last innovation

Great to have you back Ernie and the forum going again

unclepat
    Participant

Cooked a bit of bavette..served nice and rare with some green beans and dauphinoise and rich glass of Gigondas. This really is a super tasty piece of beef..can never understand why it won’t sell in the restaurant.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Tired, knackered after a day of tastings I did an improvised sweet and sour pork.
    Put on rice to boil.
    Sliced up pork fillet, coarsely chopped onions, garlic, red pepper, one chilli, broccoli, sugar snaps, that cute-but-flavourless baby sweetcorn – all out of fridge or freezer
    Dusted with 5 spice,asafoetida, Sichuan pepper and stir-fried in a splash of corn oil.
    Mixed pomegranate syrup, wine vinegar, sherry, honey, soy sauce then adjusted for taste with brown sugar, threw over ingredients and cooked another couple of minutes. Served with boiled rice.
    Ready in 20 mins.
    Washed down with Torres Gran Vina Sol Chardy.
    Collapsed into chair to watch episode of ‘Breaking Bad’

shortcircuit
    Participant

Had braised lamb shoulder from a Neven Maguire recipe in Saturday’s Indo. Sensational best lamb shoulder I’ve ever tasted.
    The sauce made from the reduced braising liquor is a knockout

fontane77
    Participant

had a battered sausage from the chipper before heading into see Skyfall. Meh!

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Got some beef ‘leg meat’ (presumably ‘shin”?) from Pat Whelan in Monkstown. Made a lovely stew – carrots, onions, garlic, celery, herbs, mushrooms, red wine.
    Have to say I got a bit bored with it half way through.
    Lesson: What you fancy at 12.30 is not necessarily what you fancy at 19.30.

Drank a quantity of Vina Albali Gran Reserva 2001,Valdepenas. Okay, nice 13.5 ABV, old-style Rioja vibe but got a gold medal at IWSC 2008 and am not sure why.Fruit holding up quite well but a tiny lick of VA maybe and the (American?) oak still too overt after all these years.

Or maybe it was just the 0-0 draw with W Ham.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

@fontane77 wrote:

Skyfall, or the battered sossie?

chefsmith
    Participant

Better be skyfall, I’m dreaming of a battered banger, sick of wurstels and kasekreiners…..
    and shamefully, a portion of chicken balls from a horrible take away with bright red ‘sweet n sour’ sauce …

Had a goose tonight, splendid bird, slow roasted, potato dumplings and some red cabbage cooked in orange and apple juice…

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Lucky boy, Chefsmith. I adore goose. Can’t wait for the cheapo frozen birds to come back into Lidl and Aldi. I want to smoke one in the pizza oven.
    Meanwhile.. finished the beef stew for lunch, nicer, stickier and after a walk in the wind and rain down The Sociable Pier I really was in the mood for it.
    Last night really nice (though obviously farmed) salmon bought from Susie Whelan in Wexford. Cooked by ‘her indoors’, bless, giving me a night off and served up with a beetroot and Golden Wonder pie from whatzzisface in the Guardian, plus my own gingered green beans.
    Tasty.
    Washed down with a very sprightly Vermentino 2010 IGT Lazio, Marks & Spencer.

ljr
    Participant

about time I returned here… last night I made a chicken and moong dal curry (cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, garlic etc.) with a cheapy box of chicken thighs I bought in Superquinn while picking up the paper on Sunday afternoon. halfway through making the curry I discovered six chicken breasts defrosted by herself the day before along with some breadcrumbs left over from Tuesday night’s breaded pork escalopes.

Having fried the thighs off for the curry I had lots of chicken fat in a pan so I decided to dip the breasts in the breadcrumbs along with a little salt and pepper and grated lemon rind and fry them in the fat – perhaps they could be a snack or used for sandwiches on Monday. of course we scoffed all 6 chicken breasts with hunks of buttered batch bread and some tarragon mustard mayonnaise within about ten minutes. Then two hours later I also ate a plate of chicken curry with a bottle of Rothaus Export beer. Result: at least 1kg added to my weight…

fontane77
    Participant

@ernie Whalley wrote:

@fontane77 wrote:

Skyfall, or the battered sossie?

the sossie was far better than the movie. In true chipper style, I got a couple of chips aswell in the bag. A tasty snack!

fontane77
    Participant

@ljr wrote:

about time I returned here… last night I made a chicken and moong dal curry (cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, garlic etc.) with a cheapy box of chicken thighs I bought in Superquinn while picking up the paper on Sunday afternoon. halfway through making the curry I discovered six chicken breasts defrosted by herself the day before along with some breadcrumbs left over from Tuesday night’s breaded pork escalopes.

Having fried the thighs off for the curry I had lots of chicken fat in a pan so I decided to dip the breasts in the breadcrumbs along with a little salt and pepper and grated lemon rind and fry them in the fat – perhaps they could be a snack or used for sandwiches on Monday. of course we scoffed all 6 chicken breasts with hunks of buttered batch bread and some tarragon mustard mayonnaise within about ten minutes. Then two hours later I also ate a plate of chicken curry with a bottle of Rothaus Export beer. Result: at least 1kg added to my weight…

regarding Curry’s I have been using http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net as a guide. Its an interesting site, he prepares a curry ‘gravy’ that can be frozen and reused (apparently restaurants do this) as a base. Takes a bit of work but great results. Also shows you how much onion is actually used in Indian currys as well!

petitechef
    Participant

I like the sound of the beetroot and potato pie Ernie!
    In keeping with ‘Meatfree Monday ‘ I had penne with (leftover ) pea & mint crostini topping – rather tasty

Prime Cut
    Participant

Venison ragu, made from the pound or so of sausage meat that’s always left over from a batch of sausages, but added a chopped Jerusalem artichoke just to use it up and was really surprised how the earthniness of it went with the venison.

fontane77
    Participant

tried to get some of your venison sausage recently in North Dublin! Couldnt find it…..tried St Annes and Nolans…..

Prime Cut
    Participant

Am getting labels printed at the moment so hopefully will them in time for next wednsdays delivery to Nolans, will post if a delay.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Coq au vin. I’d be interested to know if people prefer to cook the chook in white or red wine or, indeed, if it matters.

unclepat
    Participant

Tastes great either way Ernie. I prefer to use red though…purely because I like the rich colour it gives the finished dish.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Tonight, actually.
    After a stressful, painful day.
    Ann’s fish pie, with courgettes out of the garden, quickly fried in olive oil with wilted basil.Sea salt scattered on afterwards.
    winesdirect.ie’s lovely Domaine de Millet Côtes de Gascogne rosé 2012.
    3-cheese (Irish) selection with green olives. Durrus, Hegarty’s and a wonderful sheep cheese, name escapes me.
    Lovely espresso that made yesterday’s stripping down and servicing of machine all the more worthwhile.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

Lamb with a rub of my own devising (with a little help from my friend Leanne Kitchen and her fine book ‘Turkey…’)
    (fennel seeds/cinnamon/cumin seeds/ sweet paprika in a ratio of 1:2:2:4
    with mushroom and peas pilaff
    and a home made tomato sauce.

markh
    Participant

Sole Meuniere with sweet potato fries…. three black sole for €10 today in the fishmonger beside Hayes’s Butchers on Florence Road in Bray, a bargain!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ernie Whalley on food, wine & Irish restaurants