Where to eat in Vienna?

Home Forums Forum Where to eat in Vienna?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ernie Whalley 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

petite gourmand
    Participant

Have a few days in Vienna in November when the other half attends a conference. Will be staying half way between the VIC and city centre on the U1 around Praterstern.

Wonder if any FnCer has any good tips for a tavern/ bistro type dinner maybe with local wine ? We don’t want to get ripped off in touristy places and I don’t eat sacher torte!

Will be arriving on a Monday night 7:30 flight arrival, probably won’t get into town till after 9pm. Is there anywhere that might serve dinner till 10ish?

Many thanks.

punto
    Participant

This means nothing to me, oh………………………

sorry showing my age

ven
    Participant

best avoid the cafe at hotel sacher

bruno
    Participant

hi petite gourmand,

delighted to hear a fncer is visiting the beautiful city i inhabit !
    where to start.
    lunch opportunities;
    deli am naschmarkt
    is a firm favourite of mine in the middle of vienna ‘s fantastic food market called naschmarkt offering delicacies from all over the world.great place to people watch! attracts vienna’s über cool bohemian sorts.a brilliant place friday afternoon/evening with super djs providing the background soundtrack. order a big/small vorspeisen teller which showcases the best of various antpasti in the market or lamb with pita is equally good
    get the übahn to kettenbrückengasse and enjoy the various food stalls .deli is half way up on the left walkway direction karlsplatz,if lost just ask someone

palmenhaus
    a great lunch time spot just behind the opera house(staatoper) beside the albertina museum which houses a super van gogh exhibition til december if you’re interested!
    the interior has the wow factor as it is a former palm tree house with gorgeous high ceilings and funky interior. super local wine list and food canbe a tad too adventurous but is generally good

evening

skopik&lohn
    leopoldsgasse 17.1020 wien (01) 2198977
    my favourite viennese place of the moment.guy who owns it worked in new york for years and is a true pro.food is a take on viennese wirtshaus(equivalent of french bistro) with a contemporary twist. amazing value.great interior and super wine list mains start at 9 euros and go to about 20. half a litre of local wine is 6 euros.about six euros in a taxi from where you’re based.would recommend here for the first night if you’re arriving late. and you need to book.don’t be put off by crap website

zum finsteren stern 2
    schulhof 8.1010 wien . (01) 5352100
    this is a gem of a restaurant i ate in last night .located in first district near judenplatz.the owner/head chef is an ex well known actress who has a beautiful touch with food.food is austrian/ modern again and mains 16/20 euros.super house wine.this is close to a super wine shop /bar called wein und co at schottentor which allows the customer to drink any of their wines from the shop in their lovely bar for just 6 euros corkage,they even throw in a bottle of mineral water!

gasthaus am nordpol
    nordwestbahnstrasse 17. 1020 wien(01) 3335854
    a real insider tip! not many tourists would venture here but the food is superb and a great example of classic viennese cooking for half nothing.eclectic interior and a short taxi hop from where you’re staying .a big favourite with foodies in vienna

these places represent real value in eating out here.you could eat out 2 starters,2 mains ,bottle of wine and coffees for anyting between 60 and 80 euros.this makes such a change to the dublin i was used to! also try as much of the white wines from austria especially from wachau,kremstal and kamptal.you can really get quality for not much money,the wein +co chain i mentioned earlier is best place to shop for wine.
    lastly in november the austrian restaurants celebrate a thing called martinigansl where goose is featured on most menus.do yourselves a favour and try it.it’s heavenly!!!!!
    any other ques. send me a mail [email]info@charlieps.atd be delighted to help in any way i can

enjoy your stay and best wishes
    b.

petite gourmand
    Participant

You are a star, Bruno!

Other half attended the same conference last year in Vienna on his own and was disappointed – there was nothing much staying and eating around the VIC.

This year we hope to have a few evenings exploring the city – your recommendations sound excellent and I will make more detailed plans when the conference agenda is out. Might consult you further and many thanks again for your advice and contact details! By the way, is your pub in the city?

bruno
    Participant

no problem petite gourmand!

my pub is called charlie ps.address is währinger strasse 3.1090 wien.love to see you and the oh for a pint or glass of local vino.

b.

europhile
    Participant

Originally posted by bruno
    no problem petite gourmand!

my pub is called charlie ps.address is währinger strasse 3.1090 wien.love to see you and the oh for a pint or glass of local vino.

b.

Are you from Athlone, by any chance, bruno?

bruno
    Participant

no i hail from dublins fair city

petite gourmand
    Participant

Thank you so much Bruno, for your excellent recommendations. Walked from Praterstrasse to Skopik & Lohn the first night – lovely maitre d’h explained every dish in English in great detail. The gans with red cabbage was delicious! Took tram 5 to gasthaus am nordpol second night. Good atmosphere and grand mother style cooking at amazingly reasonable price! Booked at zum finsteren stern 2 on our last night – short but beautifully executed menu, our two starters of buffalo cheese, tomatoes, peppers and portebello mushrooms, and a rich foie gras style terrine with toasted brioche – were absolutely top notch! Wines offered by the glass were surprising good and allowed us to try a few different ones. We wandered up to Charlie P’s after dinner to thank you in person, but must have just missed you – had a few drinks at the snug at the back – the place was heaving with Cel v Kil on TV. The food looked good too! We did feel like visiting parents though at Universitat station!

I also wandered down the food market one day, bought a kilo of wasabi peanuts (just like the ones they serve at the Ice Bar at the Four Seasons !) and found a tiny sushi bar by the roadside. Thanks again Bruno, and you were right about the prices, so reasonable for the quality, affordable even on tax due week!

bruno
    Participant

wow! i’m absolutely delighted fellow fncers get to sample the places that the viennese frequent.good on you petite gourmand.sorry i missed you guys when you were in.maybe we’ll catch up next time i’m in dublin.would love to hear your experiences in detail.

regards,
    b.

Red Devil
    Participant

Hey Bruno,

Not sure if you are still based in Vienna, but heading over with work for a meeting this Monday and decided to make a weekend of it. Any further recommendations on places to check out in Vienna?

My better half spent a year in college in Vienna in 99 and we have rather hazy memories of Charlie P’s. Great atmosphere and huge Irish breakfasts that one of the guys visiting with me indulged in every day for week!

bruno
    Participant

hi red devil,
    yes i am indeed still in vienna alive and kicking! great to hear you are visiting vienna and have even heard of my pub.am very flattered!

i would still recommend the above tips but further to this, some other places i have been to frequently are ;
    huth,schellinggasse 6,1010 wien(very close to city centre .next u-bahn station is stadtpark or 10 mins from stefandom by foot,beside marriot)
    this is a wonderful restaurant which is run by a ex olympic rower who has a bit of an empire created all on the same street(he has a more stripped down casual place directly across the street and a upmarket trattoria two buildings up from this) this restaurant is a great example of austrian cooking well executed and at the right price.all ingredients are locally sourced and game features prominently at the moment.i took chefsmith in here so dont mention my name as i havent been welcome in there since!
    il mare,zieglergasse , 1060 wien(u bahn is zieglergasse u3 it’s just off mariahilferstrasse,vienna’s equivalent of henry street)
    simply the best italian food i ‘ve eaten outside of italy! the pizzas are cooked in wood oven and are delicious.t bone steaks cooked in oven and amazing pasta.had homemade truffle raviioli in there last night.
    enjoy your trip and make sure to ask for me if you make it into the pub.

al the best,
    b.

chefsmith
    Participant

I can second the 2 places above,
    in huth, you must try the goose soup, if i were to deconstruct a dish, i would say geese are slow roasted and the fat and stock strained and chilled to separate, then the stock is mixed with cream, has that wonderful salty pure meat taste, with moir poix of veg and a goose dumpling, i can not wait to get back over to have it, and its about 4 euro too !!!

In Il mare,
    i really would not bother with the beef, cooked superbly, but quality of beef can’t compare to Irish beef, bother with everything else though, especially the house pizza of cheese tomato and basil, awesome and i had the special of mussel spaghetti in a marinara style sauce, superb.

Also try the oberlaa chocolate and cake shop at the top of somewhere ( near the big church) in centre of the town, outrageously good cakes and coffee for about 4.50, all handmade and fresh, it gets packed and seems to be normal to share tables with strangers ( the vienesse are quite reserved so dont nick a spoon of their cake )

Red Devil
    Participant

Thanks a million guys, that goose soup sounded so good we have made a reservation online for tomorrow evening. It was not showing on the Speisekarte, so the better half will be requesting auf deutsch!

I’ll be noting all the other options and playing it by ear over the weekend and we will be visiting some of the highlights from 99, Trzesniewski and those little sandwiches and beers (which made an appearance at our wedding), Meinl for some Christmas shopping and great coffee.

Will definitely pop in over the course of the weekend, it could even be Friday night. Saturday is with a former colleague and Sunday with a client, so not as much freedom as we would like, but still I can’t complain.

chefsmith
    Participant

Just so u know reddevil, don’t go out with Bruno, he can’t drink soup 🙂

europhile
    Participant

I’m off to Vienna next week. Current suggestions for good, cheaps eats. Am on a VERY restricted budget.

chefsmith
    Participant

Most of the places above are cheap, lunch mittagsmenu almost everywhere can get you 3 courses for 5-6 euro.
    I popped down the road today with fam, two choices, 3 courses for 5.20
    had chunky veg soup with real chicken stock
    pork shnitzel with potato salad and a tomato and red pepper sauce
    apple strudel

for 5.20!!!!

It’s genuinely cheaper to eat out here than to cook ( restaurants and pubs cheaper – everything else more expensive than Ireland – groceries are ridiculously expensive )

I’ll get some addresses tonight and post them and if you fancy meeting some follow forkncorkers for a dinner let us know

gaz

europhile
    Participant

That would be much appreciated, chef.

If I was going by myself, I’d be happy to meet up with internet weirdos but the other half might be less inclined than myself.

What’s the name of the place you’re working in? PM if you don’t want to post it online but I have a notion that you already did somewhere.

Thanks, again.

bruno
    Participant

@europhile wrote:

That would be much appreciated, chef.

If I was going by myself, I’d be happy to meet up with internet weirdos but the other half might be less inclined than myself.

charming;)

europhile
    Participant

Sorry. But you know what I mean!

chefsmith
    Participant

I can nearly guarantee we are not killers with fritzl style cellars 😀

My mrs would not be keen either, she thinks me and bruno met in a restaurant !!!

europhile
    Participant

Roaring my head off laughing here.

I know a few very happy couples who met on the internet and have spent the past couple of years weaving a web of complex lies to their families about how they met.

chefsmith
    Participant

I know a few very happy fellers who have rekindled old flames for dirty weekends away,
    I’m still playing my Swedish teen blonde card, that’s how Bruno flew over to meet me

bruno
    Participant

i was just a tad disappointed.aesthetically speaking:cool:

b.

europhile
    Participant

europhile
    Participant

@chefsmith wrote:

I’ll get some addresses tonight and post them

Did you get a chance at all, chef? Also, if you can think of a good Turkish place. I’ll be staying near Westbahnhof. Many thanks.

Red Devil
    Participant

Europhile, I know what it is like, we went to Charlie P’s on the Friday night and I had to suffer jibes from both my wife and friend about meeting strange men off the interweb. Alas Bruno was out that night, so now the gag is that I invented his existence.

I owe Bruno and Chefsmith a big thank you for the tips last December and must apologise for the tardiness in my reply.

We dined in Huth Beisl which is at Schellinggasse 6 on the Friday evening. I think the guys may have referenced the Gastwirtschaft which I think is at number 5 on Schellinggasse, as there was no goose soup on the menu which I had spent the whole flight dreaming of; that being said it was really tasty and good value; a Weiner schnitzel with a fantastic crispy coating and really balanced potato salad standing out alongside the Ofenflecks (Austrian pizza) a good goulash. Perfect Friday night option off that late Aer Lingus flight.

I would also recommend Zum Finsteren Stern 2 where we ate on Saturday evening; although the booze fueled evening as a result of a cold Saturday where shelter was sought in the American bar and its cocktail list may have dulled the memory somewhat. Great wine list, but it did push up the final bill. Really talented team in the kitchen.

Gasthaus am Nordpol was exceptional value and the real stand out of the weekend. As the guys highlighted a really quirky dining room with bizzare paintings and a menu of traditional fare with great source ingredients. I had always felt that Tafelspitz was something that I could take it or leave it, but next visit to Vienna it is a certainty that I’ll be ordering this. I think the bill €45 for four people including shared starters, four mains, eight beers.

Highly recommend Cafe Demmel or Cafe Central for the traditional experience. Trzesniewski for the tiny beers and mini sandwiches and Cafe Hawelka for an old style cafe with an eclectic clientele. The American bar for a decent cocktail in the surroundings of an architectural gem.

bruno
    Participant

hi europhile,

previous posts are pretty up tp date as to where i eat frequently
    .closest to you in westbahnhof would the trattoria il mare on zieglergasse 15 which you find walking down mariahilferstrasse from wesbahnhof about 400m and zieglergasse is on the left hand side.for kebabs a turkish friend of mine swears by a fastfood chain called turkis..there are two shops on mariahilferstrasse.the best being the one towards the bottom near museumsquartier across form mcdonalds.get the u bahn to museumquartier and walk 400m up mariahilferstrasse on he left hand side,it’s number 31.they use a mixture of lamb and veal in their kebab.ask or one with durum.the restaurant which is a turkish institution is kent in the sixteenth district .brunnengasse 67.1060 wien.get the u6 (u bahn) from westbahnhof to josefstadtergasse.kebabs in my opinion are not as good as turkis but it is situated at brunnenmarkt which is a funky food market nice for a visit during the day.the other food market is called naschmarkt and as i mentioned in previous posts is great for food shopping and people if it’s a nice day.food wise i love a place called deli which has funky music and a lovely turkish antipasi platter called ‘vorspeisen teller.it is at stand 421.get u bahn u4 to kettenbruchengasse .get out of station and walk back direction karlsplatz.across from deli is another food place called do an,they have the best salad in vienna called a exotischer salat.basically just a salad of leaves and chicken strips but using the local famous pumpkin seed oil.delish.other side of deli is cafe drechsler,a really old cafe redesigned by terence conran.this has great food ,coffee and surrounding escpeciallyi if it’s raining.

eveniing i would recommend all prevoius posts .an extra which is getting great press is gaumenspiel.it is not so far from westbahnhof.Zieglergasse 54
    1070 Wien
    01 5261108. ihavent eaten there but i have heard great reports.they use seasonal produce and it has a mediteranean slant.
    also a current’in’ restaurant is freyenstein Thimiggase 11
    1180 Wien

Tel.: +43 (0)664 4390837.freyenstein is located in an old funky. bistro /gasthaus in the eighteenth district.it has one of vienna’s most renowned chefs meinrad neunkirchner in the kitchen.the format he offers is a eight course menu for 32 euros and no a la carte.two courses come on one plate each time(tapas portion)i find it ‘s a great way to sample lots of local specialities in one go.chef smith even managed to get his first appearance on local tv with meinkirchner over here.

happy eating!

b.

chefsmith
    Participant

I’ll get Bruno on the case with addresses, I’m awful with them, I am not even positive of my own new adress and I’m here 4 months now !
    Too many numbers and Germanic names 😉

nordpole would be on my list for a nice weekend lunch, the pork stew is awesome,
    il mare once again, excellent trattoria
    I just found an ace Turkish place but it’s in 3rd district, not sure if that’s close to westbahnoff, had food there on fri night, my first experience of a proper kebab, with freshest ingredients possible!

When are you over ?

chefsmith
    Participant

Just back from Il Mare, man that place is so good.
    Buffalo mozzerella and basil pizza for 8 quid, i’d challenge you to find a better pizza
    and the spaghetti ‘ il Mare’ which is seafood in a light tomato sauce, just awesome, 9 bucks
    The calamari fritti also best ive ever had, expensive at 12 quid, but the squid all seems to be very expensive here, not sure why….

europhile
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Sorry for taking so long to respond but between one thing and another … It was a couple of weeks ago now so I’m a little sketchy on details

We ended up in Il Mare twice – once for lunch and once for dinner. Among the dishes we ate were the recommended seafood spaghetti and the scaloppine al vino bianco. Drool. It’s a great little operation alright; I’d kill to have a place like that in the neighbourhood.

We also visited Huth Gastwirtshaft where I had their magnificent white asparagus soup and the meatballs. I couldn’t really do justice to my meal as I’d eaten a schnitzel the size of a dustbin lid for lunch out in Ober St Viet earlier in the day.

Also made it to Restaurant Lux. The guinea fowl risotto has definitely the highlight. Service was friendly but untogether.

We walked past Charlie P’s one morning on our way to the Freud Museum but you were closed.

A couple of days were spent in the Wachau which we found a lot dearer than Vienna.

chefsmith
    Participant

I’ll have to try LUX, haven’t been there yet.

There is a local pub cum shop cum restaurant on our road, do a mittagsmenu ( daily menu) – most places here do this, they can make no money on it, but it keeps people in there drinking for an hour or so, loss leader i guess, normally a soup, choice of two main courses and dessert for between 4-6 euro, depending on what the main course is, normally a set menu for everyday. ie mondays always the same, tuesdays always the same, so if you know what you like on any given day you know which place to go.

yesterday we went to lunch at the local place
    lovely natural potato and Flat parsley soup with bread
    I had Pork loin with ‘ pork scratching’ ( home made version called gremmel) saurkraut and a bread dumpling with the pork juices
    The mrs and little un had sausages with potato rosti and sautee courgettes with a mustard cream
    and they had a curd cheese strudel

3 courses for 4.20!!!
    Everything home-made and fresh.

This is not a Ireland is too expensive post as everything here is on par with Ireland, if not even more expensive, restaurants and pubs the only noticabally cheaper examples.

But i know from my own Kitchen purchases that they cannot be breaking even on that offer, suppliers are about the same price as Dublin with fish being Twice the price even.

Im still scratching my head…………………….
    But certainly not complaining, we had a great lunch yesterday sat outside , lovely service 3 people for 24 inc coffees and couple apple spritzers.

shortcircuit
    Participant

Chefsmith,Bruno

Sent you a PM there re Vienna!

Cheers . . . .

bruno
    Participant

pmed you back

shortcircuit
    Participant

Just back from bruno’s pop-up “fish and chip shop” at Vienna summerstage : http://www.summerstage.co.at/
    By far the nicest meal we’ve had since we started travelling a week ago. My girlfriend had fish and chips and I had a dry-aged beef burger, both with fantastic homemade chunky chips. Not to be missed!

chefsmith
    Participant

Hey sorry Shortcircuit, I wasn’t able to log in for ages, but i fixed it today, it was something silly i had overlooked.
    Glad you enjoyed Vienna and summerstage.
    Where else had you been in your travels?

europhile
    Participant

@bruno wrote:

il mare,zieglergasse , 1060 wien(u bahn is zieglergasse u3 it’s just off mariahilferstrasse,vienna’s equivalent of henry street)
    simply the best italian food i ‘ve eaten outside of italy! the pizzas are cooked in wood oven and are delicious.t bone steaks cooked in oven and amazing pasta.had homemade truffle raviioli in there last night.

I was here again last week for lunch. We turned up ten minutes before they were due to close so just had a main course (veal marsala and potatoes) and a glass of wine. Still as good as ever.

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

testing

markh
    Participant

1 2 3….

Ernie Whalley
    Participant

A good friend came back after a weekend in Vienna with huge praise about a gastro pub she’d found, name of Charlie Ps. Take a bow, Bruno

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ernie Whalley on food, wine & Irish restaurants