Critic Outed

Critic Outed

Postby chefsmith » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Just read this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12074138

Seems a bit bizarre, she must have given them a bad review before or something.

She was anonymous for 16 years.
chefsmith
Michelin *

Re: Critic Outed

Postby Ernie Whalley » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:24 am

Ms Virbila, quoted by the Los Angeles Times, said: "I always knew at some point a blogger or somebody would take a secret photo. But I never expected that a restaurateur would stick a camera in my face."

She said anonymity was important for a restaurant critic.

Restaurants could change their behaviour or serve different food if they recognised a critic with a wide readership, she added.

Utter bollox.
What's really important is
a) a background of knowledge/experience that helps you make a sound assessment
b) honesty
After that it's down to writing ability.
I'd value those qualities over anonymity every time.
Ernie Whalley
Restaurant at The End of The Universe

Postby bruno » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:57 pm

the more i get to know you in cyberspace, mr whalley. the more i wish there were more of you in your profession.

as a restauranteur i could totally live with someone judging me having had an experience first handof what the ups and downs of the hospitality industry brings in reality. if that critique is delivered with honesty then i accept what comes good or bad and welcome what i can learn from it .

merry christmas to you and yours ernie.thanks for providing an amazing resource which i enjoy so much.i hope all fncers enjoyed your xmas day as much as i did.it's really precious to share this day with loved ones.i dont think i'm gonna eat for another week at least.seriously people, does anyone know a good health farm !

festive greetings from vienna and positive vibes to aer lingus flights leaving from vienna dublin tomorrow

b
ps my new years resolution is to never improve my grammar on fnc.i enjoy how much it irritates chefsmith :D
bruno
Transport caff

WHAT MAKES A GOOD RESTAURANT CRITIC???

Postby Ernie Whalley » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:29 am

Bruno, I don't think it's actually necessary to have had 'first hand' experience to be a restaurant critic. Any more than it's necessary to have played professional football in order to write about it. Sometimes the converse is even true - hence tossers like Lawrenson and Ian Wright.
But I do think a critic should acquire enough background savvy to know what's what - the proper ingredients for a salad Caprese, say. Or to suss when the piss is being taken. Or decide whether a problem with food or service stems from a good restaurant simply having a bad day, a one-off cock-up or from ongoing poor management/training/lousy ingredients/inept cooking etc.
In order to do any job properly you have to be 'qualified', by which I don't mean paper certificates or even spending 40 years in the job.

ANYHOW, THE ABOVE IS MY VIEW, LET'S HAVE YOURS.
ANONYMITY... OBJECTIVITY... A STRONG CONSTITUTION... THE ABILITY TO ENTERTAIN... WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITIES A RESTAURANT CRITIC NEEDS?
Ernie Whalley
Restaurant at The End of The Universe

Postby chefsmith » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:37 pm

The anomity issue been bugging me since I read this.
Total anomity your depending only on the critics professionalism, they can do what they want without any comebacks.

No anomity and they open to bribes, preferential treatment

Ah I dunno, is my conclusion
chefsmith
Michelin *

Postby brava » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Requirements: Knowledge of food and ability to write. Both prerequisites.

Anonymity: I do understand why this might be an issue in the US where large restaurant can probably turn a kitchen & floor staff around for a single table (dedicate your best chef/ wait staff to one table, it'll probably be pretty good...). In a small co., this is less of an option for critics, and restaurants probably don't have the scale to change service in the same way, so I'd be less worried. Also the foodie community is much smaller here, so an aberration (good or bad) will be quickly spotted. If you doubt this, post a review for a made up restaurant here and see how long it takes all the main critics to review it/ lament its obscurity....
brava
Sushi spot

Re: WHAT MAKES A GOOD RESTAURANT CRITIC???

Postby Zibibbo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:26 am

Ernie Whalley wrote:ANYHOW, THE ABOVE IS MY VIEW, LET'S HAVE YOURS.
ANONYMITY... OBJECTIVITY... A STRONG CONSTITUTION... THE ABILITY TO ENTERTAIN... WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITIES A RESTAURANT CRITIC NEEDS?

An ability to review a restaurant located more than 15 minutes from their house.
Zibibbo
Take Away

Return to Forum